Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Most services stopped running & no internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jake333

jake333

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Running a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop Win7 64bit

When I turned on my pc today the bottom taskbar was white like in safe mode & icons are square like safe mood too. There was no icon for internet connection in system tray & audio icon off. Wireless was turned off (indicator light on front off). Using the flashcards I got wireless enabled, but still no icon for internet connection. Could not load any site.

Tried Win Defender (stopped) & Advanced System Care but wouldn't run. Later both plus Trend Micro & Malwarebytes all ran with zero results.

Tried system restore in normal & safe mode & got this: "a volume shadow copy service component encountered an unexpected error. Check application log for more information (0x80042302)." Tried searching for App log with no results.

Tried "Last known configuration" with no luck.

Opened win task manger & found consent.exe in processes - never saw before. Looked it up (GF's pc) & went back & it was gone. Tried a search with no results. Checked services & very few were running although Win Defender(WinDefend) & Trend Micro(amsp) were BEFORE they started working? Appinfo was running on 1st glance, but later it had been stopped. If I tried to restart a service, received "access denied" error.

Only other services running: DcomLaunch, PlugPlay, Cryptsvc, Profsvc, gpsvc, sppsvc, RpcSs,& RpcEpMapper.

Audio services not running - I can't turn it on. Win Security Center turned off - can't start it either. I noticed java still on my pc tho I uninstalled it. Unable to clicked "enabled" off for user & system in JRE settings.

In network & sharing:

"View basic network info" - service to detect is disabled.
Connect to internet - only option available is dial up - I use cable
Set up new network - Can't find router (router looks to be working fine)
Connect to network - no networks listed just "open network & sharing center."

Finally able to run Win Defender, Advanced System Care, Malwarebytes, & Trend Micro - all > pc running smoothly - no threats.

Sorry for the long list of symptoms, but I can't DL OTL.
Any help would be greatly appreciated (I'll keep checking my email on my GF's pc)

Thank you,
jake

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Hi! My name is Jasmyne and Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm sorry you are having issues with your computer but I will do my best to resolve them as quickly as possible. I know having an infected computer is frustrating because I was once where you are now!

Please be patient with me as I am currently in training, and all of my responses to you have to be reviewed by my instructor before I post them. Just keep in mind that you get the advantage as you have 2 people examining your issue.

• You may want to print out these instructions, or copy them to a text file so that will have a copy in case you loose your connection to the internet during a removal process.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you and in perform them in the order they are posted. If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask! Never be afraid to ask questions! :)
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you.
  • Please note that there is no "Quick & Easy Fix" to most malware infections and we may need to use several different tools to get your system clean.
  • Please stick with me until I tell you that your machine is clean. If you don't see any symptoms it does not mean your system is clear of malware
  • Please don't run any other scans or other software unless I ask you to, as it will make this repair more difficult.
  • Please reply within 3 days. Topics with no reply in 4 days are closed!

With that all stated, let's get started! :)

Since you have access to your GF's computer, do you have an USB drive that you can use to download and transfer OTL to your infected computer and attempt to run a scan?

If so, download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Please check the box next to Scan All Users.
  • Make sure Use SafeList is selected under Extra Registry.
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:
    netsvcs
    BASESERVICES
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    services.*
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    dir C:\ /S /A:L /C
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
It appears you have posted another topic requesting assistance in this forum using a slightly different user-name...posting for assistance in different forums for the same machine/issues is both counter productive and a waste of your volunteer helpers time.