Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disc drive not showing windows 7 pro

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi, did as you suggested and rebooted. Still no dvd drive showing.... checked in device manager ad no yellow warning icon showing so assume all drivers reinstalled : :confused:

just gone into properties etc.....this is the message that now appears...

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

the device has not been disconnected nor anything done to it????????

Try to boot in Safe Mode (press F8 during boot) and see if the CD drive is there.

Advertisements

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Tried to do as suggested. Laptop started bleeping and was unable to start. Start up repair now attempting to fix /repair so hopefully I will be able to boot up :-(

**** update****
start up repair said unable to fix.
I closed it and then was able to start normally somehow..... dvd drive was showing upon start up but disappeared again so it seems I am back to where I started lol.......

Edited by Wendywoo0805, 12 August 2013 - 01:39 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

So you can't access this screen:
Posted Image

and boot in Safe Mode?

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
not using F8 no...........is there another way?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

not using F8 no...........is there another way?

What happen if you press F8 (not hold) for several times at boot?

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
It eventually allowed me to boot in safe mode.... it says cd drive if I click on my computer. If I click properties it says its working normally lol

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

It eventually allowed me to boot in safe mode.... it says cd drive if I click on my computer. If I click properties it says its working normally lol

Can you open the CD and see the files? Try with more than one CD/DVD disk in case the first doesn't work.

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yep the files on the discs show....tried with 2 discs to make sure

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Yep the files on the discs show....tried with 2 discs to make sure

Ok, sounds like a windows driver problem but I like you to check visually something...

This image show how to remove the DVD drive from your laptop
Posted Image

What i would like you to do is to turn off the machine and check the back of the laptop, try to make a little pressure on the DVD drive in the direction opposite to the direction of the red arrow, I want to make sure the drive isn't loose.

In the past I had a similar case, the laptop was missing a screw the one needed to hold the DVD drive in place! With the opening of the DVD drive to remove/insert a CD sometimes the drive connection failed and other times worked.

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,
one of the screws in the panel shown won't come out unfortunately..... I tried a couple of screwdrivers with no luck.... :-(

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,
one of the screws in the panel shown won't come out unfortunately..... I tried a couple of screwdrivers with no luck.... :-(

Hi I only want you to check if the drive is perfectly secure and not to dismount the thing :)

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Lol.....tbe drive drawer goes in slightly if I push to open....if I try and pull on it it seems very secure.... is that what you meant?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Lol.....tbe drive drawer goes in slightly if I push to open....if I try and pull on it it seems very secure.... is that what you meant?

I only want to make sure the drive itself doesn't move any inch inside the laptop.

Moving on, the laptop was reinstalled using a normal Windows 7 DVD and not using a recovery disk or partition right?
Did you install the drivers available on the Acer website for that model?

Specially this:
- Intel Chipset
- SATA Driver AHCI

The Acer website doesn't allow me to link directly for the drivers page specific for you model you need to input the model name and the OS Windows 7 32-bits.

Edit: I was talking with another colleague about this problem and she did another suggestion... open the Device Manager, locate your DVD Drive on the DVD/CD-ROM drives group right click and select Uninstall then restart the system. Execute this steps before installing the drivers above.

Edited by SleepyDude, 13 August 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Wendywoo0805

Wendywoo0805

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I went to the acer website but did not see the appropriate drivers listed when I entered the serial number etc....... I emailed them but have heard nothing back........Thank you Acer !!

I used an OEM disc and it was clean install......

My dvd drive does not show in device manager

I am thinking whatever solution is needed is perhaps beyond my ken........ I do feel it has to be something fairly simple to fix but not sure I am able to find it !!

Frustrating and frazzling :unsure:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I went to the acer website but did not see the appropriate drivers listed when I entered the serial number etc....... I emailed them but have heard nothing back........Thank you Acer !!

I used an OEM disc and it was clean install......

My dvd drive does not show in device manager

I am thinking whatever solution is needed is perhaps beyond my ken........ I do feel it has to be something fairly simple to fix but not sure I am able to find it !!

Frustrating and frazzling :unsure:

Ok, the drivers can be download from the Acer website, please start by installing the two from my last post because they could help fixing your issue.