Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Startup - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

CasualMat

CasualMat

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is such a random, general question but for a long time now, I have had some serious problems with starting up my laptop.
Once the desktop loads it takes close to 2 minutes for me to be able to do anything with My Computer, Internet Explorer, or load any programs. This just seems like a totally abnormal amount of time to wait. The screen comes up quickly enough but then it's like the system takes a break and then decides to come back to work.

What can I do to cut down on this or explore what may be causing the problem?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then search, include hidden and system files, type prefetch then press enter, you get one folder so can stop the search when you see it, open the folder, press edit, select all, right click a file then delete, click to confirm, close the folder.

Do you have any programmes which are set to scan at start up

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter then start up, look for programmes you do not need to load at start up, remove the tick from these, press apply and confirm then reboot

You can check the essential ones here

http://www.bleepingc...tups/Cat-A.html

Leave the firewall, antivirus and malware scanners in place

Edited by Keith, 08 June 2005 - 03:45 AM.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
check for viruses, spyware and also your fragmentation levels. How long since you ran a defrag? A regular defrag can make a big difference. System can perform faster if the problem ur facing is coz of this.