Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless networking help [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

twallace0

twallace0

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Here's my situation:

I already have my wireless network set up and it works great. I have three computers. One is a desktop PC running Windows 2000. Another is a desktop computer running Windows XP SP2. The last is a laptop running Windows XP SP2. All I need help with is setting up the computers to see each other. I'm not sure how to go about this and if someone could help me that would be great.
Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope this is suitable

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;814004

twallace0

twallace0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Actually it didn't help because for some reason Linksys software disables the Windows Netorking Utility so it connects through its own software somehow. Don't know how to explain it exactly, but I can't figure out how to make the compters see each other.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
First of all on all the Sp2 computers open the windows firewall, and enable "File and Printer Sharing". Next step go to Control Panel, System, and click the Computer Name tab. Now click the "Change" button. Make sure that Workgroup is selected and all the computers have the "Exact Same Thing" typed there. Doesn't matter what you name the workgroup, as long as they all are members of the same workgroup. Let me know when you have finished that.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

twallace0

twallace0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks man. That worked. I really appreciate it. All of the computers can see each other now and I can print from any computer to either of my printers. Thanks again.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
You're very welcome, nice work :tazz: Glad we could help.

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)