Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card the reason?

• Please log in to reply

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I looked up your manual and the BIOS are pretty basic so yeah, you won't have that option. Only way to find out is to hook the fan to the PSU and see if it speeds up.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
If I may chime in here folks :)

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

For monitoring temps etc check outMSI Afterburner and Kombustor as it works with other brands of MB and GPUs.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Here you go:

speedfan.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Thanks for the screenshot pystryker :thumbsup:

Two things of note are there is no +3.3V reading showing and that the two chassis fans are indeed turning slowly, the +3.3V rail supplies various components on the MB such as PCI slots and chipsets etc so we could do with confirming the output with HWMonitor if we can.

The thermal footprint for your CPU is 5°C - 67.9°C so at present the temp is ok but please keep in mind that the computer was not under load when the reading was taken so watch a video or play a game when you run HWMonitor as you will get a true reflection of the CPU temps.

Has any over clocking of any kind been attempted with the present hardware.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Thanks for the screenshot pystryker :thumbsup:

Two things of note are there is no +3.3V reading showing and that the two chassis fans are indeed turning slowly, the +3.3V rail supplies various components on the MB such as PCI slots and chipsets etc so we could do with confirming the output with HWMonitor if we can.

The thermal footprint for your CPU is 5°C - 67.9°C so at present the temp is ok but please keep in mind that the computer was not under load when the reading was taken so watch a video or play a game when you run HWMonitor as you will get a true reflection of the CPU temps.

Has any over clocking of any kind been attempted with the present hardware.

I'm going to dl hwmonitor and play cod for 5 minutes and then post the temps. And no, no overclocking has been done by me on this machine. It is just as it came from Dell.

temps.jpg

Edited by pystryker, 25 August 2013 - 06:23 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Your GPU is overheating and has maxed out after only 5 minutes of playing call of duty, see attachment below.

The PSU and other temps are ok :thumbsup:

Try going into the BIOS and selecting the restore default settings and see if the fan speeds increase.

GPU options are to remove the video card, then the cards cooling fan and apply fresh thermal paste such as Arctic Silver 5.
Replace the video card altogether, if you decide to do this can you tell us the model name/number of the Dell so we can check the case and PSU specifications.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
I reset the Bios to the defaults and still no increase in the fans speed in the front or back. Should I replace them? As for the card, I'd like to upgrade to another card altogether and have a thread asking about what would be best for my system. You can find that info in the link below. I can really only buy from Dell due to payment options available to me at this time. And the best option from Dell isn't really that great from the info in that thread.

http://www.geekstogo...05#entry2326005

Edited by pystryker, 25 August 2013 - 07:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
It is odd that both fans are so slow have you had a look at the MSI software that I linked to.

Of the choice of cards available from Dell http://accessories.u...k=baynoteSearch

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
I'll download that right now and give that a shot. This software will allow me to increase the speed of the gpu's fan?

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

So the info i was able to pull up,indicates this pc has a 300 watt psu and probably would take a fairly new gpu.. What is your budget?

That's debatable, actually. I can buy from Dell, which is pretty much my only option and pay it out monthly. So, anywhere from $150-$250 in that range.

So assuming you are in the states here is just one place you can get a good psu with a good rep at your budget... http://www.newegg.co...egory/ID-32.... I would go with a psu with high amps on the 12 volt and 5 volt with at least 500 watts i would recommend a 600 watt psu,also check you cables from the older psu to match those up ...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
That is what it is intended for and depending on what your MB allows it to do you may be able to speed the other fans up, I am not so sure on the latter though due to them already reading as being at 100% which BTW I feel is an error and the reason why I suggested restoring the MB factory defaults.

Overview

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Well, I just tried increasing the speed of the gpu fan and played COD and it crashed about 5 minutes in. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the fans to replace the ones that are moving so slowly and go ahead and get a new graphics card as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
The present chassis fans may not be capable of going any faster than they are and the GPU is the only thing presently overheating so try only replacing the video card first, if you do replace the chassis fans measure the size of the existing ones before ordering, an example of what is available Here

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Ok, I'll give the card a shot first.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
:thumbsup:

Keep us posted on your progress and any further questions meanwhile ask away.