Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help on choosing new GPU

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Speedfan does sometimes produce anomalous readings and this primarily is down to the MBs own monitoring software, ASUS is one of the best providers of this btw, the + 12V is still showing as not being 100% so I would suggest that the PSU is comprehensively tested by a suitably qualified technician asap and certainly before replacing the GPU.

Advertisements

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
:( I have no idea were I could do that. Here in Switzerland usually just to look at some electronical device they charge you about 50chf. So if I would ahve to change it I threw away 50 bucks :( is there any way I can test it? What would happen if I keep it like this?

I looket at the voltages in the BIOS and this is what it says http://i43.tinypic.com/2u9sny9.jpg could it be that hw monitor and speedfan are reading it wrong?

Edited by Gandalf81, 31 August 2013 - 01:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:( I have no idea were I could do that. Here in Switzerland usually just to look at some electronical device they charge you about 50chf. So if I would ahve to change it I threw away 50 bucks :( is there any way I can test it? What would happen if I keep it like this?

I looket at the voltages in the BIOS and this is what it says http://i43.tinypic.com/2u9sny9.jpg could it be that hw monitor and speedfan are reading it wrong?

Tough call Gandalf81 but I for one (as of the rest of GTG) do not and would not suggest that people should replace any item of hardware or software without good cause and at present there is no 100% proof that there is an issue with the output of your PSU, however please see my canned text below;

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Please runUNiGiNE again and provide both a HWMonitor and Speedfan screenshot of the results as this will show a more conclusive picture of the PSU reliability.

NB: Using an unstable PSU will not only damage all of your hardware it will also pose a serious risk to the health and safety of yourself and the family + the building in which you reside, this answer is not intended to be alarmist only informative because as I stated earlier there is no concrete proof at present that the PSU is bad.

A couple of videos for you (and more of my canned text :whistling: )

PSU testing equipment;

I do not wish to alarm you but the attached video is the one that I use as an example to show the sort of equipment that is required to conclusively test a PSU.

What the equipment does is simulate a computer under load and so the PSU behaves as it would when it is powering your PC, multi-meters and the basic testing devices that you can purchase from some merchants only test the basic voltage output from the PSU rails and so cannot be relied on as 100% conclusive.

What can happen to flaky PSUs

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well, sorry I was away for a couple of days :) but phill has a great point on PSU. These artifacts are the result of either a bad PSU or a defective GPU.

So, gandalf, did you download any other demanding game I stated? Especially Crysis 3. Sometimes, benchmark programs fails to load your system as much as a performance demanding action game. As for myself, when my benchmarks comes off clean, it is Crysis 3 that tells me my GPU is unstable ;). Try some voltage readings Phill stated, while playing Crysis 3, ok? And check for any artifacts or freezings/ shut downs. And try some other games that are not as demanding as Crysis 3 and BF3. For example Modern Warfare 2-3 or sth.

NOTE: As for MSI Kombustor, ıf you couldn't find it yet, look for the MSI Afterburner directory folder in C/Program Files. It's directory folder must be right below the MSI Afterburner file.
When you open the file, double click on MSIKombustor DX11 and create a shortcut on your desktop please :)

Please give feedback after you play the games I suggested, and we can see if your GPU is good or bad later on ;) Phill is helping you with the PSU readings so I can help you with gpu in the meantime :)

NOTE: You don'T have to max the settings in C3. Just try to have the maximum playable settings to put on a decent load on your system ;)

Have a nice day,
Peace

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey guys,
Phill sorry I havent given you an update, yesterday was my grandmas bday, so we had a family dinner.
John, I havent downloaded any games yet, Im kinda low on cash and cant really spend 30-40 bucksto buy games to test the gpu, my wife would kill me ;) Is there any way to try it? I have no other game, maybe I can try asking a friend if he has it (ithink he does) maybe he lets me borrow his account to test things out.
Gotta run now, gottta walk the dog and then go back to work :(
Will be back later on tonight and try to give you guys an update.

Thanks for all your help

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok guys, soem time freed up so i did a quick test
Ran Uningine and took screen shot of HW + FC hw + fan control.jpg
I wanted to see if I could stress the psu more so I ran prime 95 and took screen shot again. Their is a slight decrease in voltage hw + fan control + prim 95 .jpg
Wanted to do more stressing and ran bf3 but fan controll stoped working so I only got the HW screen shot bf3 prime valley.jpg

Idk if this can help, but Im starting to think that in deed it is the PSU.
As for the gpu no artifacts appeared, although plaing bf3 with all those programs running it was quite laggy and slow ( probably because cpu is stressed at 100%, right?)
Ill bve back around 9 p, to check for updates, if there is anything else I can do please let me know

bye bye

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Crysis 2 and The Hawkx2 benchmarking tools. Free > http://www.makeuseof...your-pc-scream/

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello again Gandalf,

well, Phill is definitely the pro and can explain better than I am but, the voltage readings seem fine, but what about the current (Amper) readings? We need to know also that, your PSU delivers sufficient amount of current to your GPU under load.

We here at GeeksToGo do not tolerate suggestions to useP2P file sharing programs. While many of these programs are-in-and of themselves legal, most things acquired by their use are not. Instead of attempting to differentiate between the legal use of P2P programs and the illegal use thereof, we have decided to stop helping with issues regarding this software. It is also in your best interest to know that many P2P software packages come bundled with spyware/malware/virii and that their use greatly increases the chances of your computer becoming infected. I strongly suggest that you uninstall these programs and refrain from using them at all costs.

we also do not tolerate suggestions that a member acquire copied, pirated, cracked or in any other way, stolen programs, movies, music or any other media. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any suggestions like this.

If you have any issues with this policy please PM a Moderator or Admin.

I want you to download GPU-Z program, by techpower. Please report in the minimum and maximum current readings f your GPU.

GPU-Z Guru3d

ok, after you download the program, it is a very small monitoring program, please click on the Sensors tab, the middle one on the above three tabs.

There you will see, many readings regarding temperature, fan speed etc. You will notice VDDC and VDDC Current right under it.
Please run UniGine again and from the settings unclick Fullscreen. After you run it, let it run at the background (but not minimized!) and pay attention to the VDDC Current readings on GPU-Z program.

Second, Open MSI Afterburner, and note the core voltage of your GPU. and while Valley Benchmartk is running check from GPU-Z if the VDDC (not current, plain VDDC) readings are matching with your Core voltage under load. When idle, it will probably be much lower to save energy. So, only look for the readings under load.

That'S it for now, please fill us in with new info.

Have a good night ;)
Peace
PS: Download C3 :D we must try with other games, benchmarks are not enough!! :)

Edited by dsenette, 05 September 2013 - 01:30 PM.

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi John,
Ok cs3 is in download (in case my friend doesnt have the game or wont let me use it)

I tries using MSI afterburner to see voltage but I cant seem to find how to see more than what I have on the screen shot I took for you. Since I couldnt see voltage there I used HWmonitor and GPU-Z.
Reading were the same with and without Unigine running

I noticed there was an update for my GPU so Im downloading it and installing it now :)

Again Thanks for all your guyses help, you guys ROCK!!!:rockon:

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Oh, right :D sorry :) you should first go to settings in MSI Afterburner and click the boxes Unlock Voltage Control and Unlock Voltage Monitoring :) sorry about that I sometimes forget about little details :D

Now, please check your core voltage again to see if it matches with your GPU-Z reading.

Also, please give me some feedback about your VDDC Current readings in GPU-Z. This one is important to see if your GPU gets sufficient amount of current from your PSU, to function healthy under load ;)

Run Unigine Valley, uncheck full screen, and look for the VDDC Current readings from GPU-Z. These ones wont be the same as its idle readings so, there is nothing wrong, don't panic and close the benchmark :)

Also set up and play some C3, check out if you still have that nasty artifacts.

waiting for your next update ;)

Good night

Advertisements

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok here we go, took the screen shots (hopefully this is what u wanted)

first I opened both MSI & GPU-Z W/out Unigine running w.out valley running.jpg

then I opened Unigine and this is it with valley running.jpg

Without unigine runni g voltage is lower when running its the same .... idk is this good or bad :wacko:

the readings are all current (when I took the screen shot

Good nigh

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
C:\Users\Ahmet\Desktop\screenshot.gif

is there any box below VDDC, named VDDC Current? It means the amount of the current( which is Ampers actually) your gpu can draw from your PSU. Now there is no problem with your VDDC readings. but the VDDC Current readings are essential. You will see the box right below the VDDC. Mine sayas 1.7A when idle. so it must be something with a symbol A :D

Well, looking above, there something strange with your Memory Clock readings on MSI Afterburner. Not sure if just a mere mistake or the problem.

Gandalf, did your guarantee end, or still going on for your GPU?

And for your next post, I want you to take a screenshot of your GPU-Z's Graphics Card tab Ok? ıT'S very first tab when you open the program. It gives overall info about your GPU, I need this one.

Also, please note that VDDC Current readings for minimum and maximum. And tell me how many Ampers your GPU can draw from your PSU. It is right below the VDDC box. You can scroll down, or use the scroll bar.

That's it, we are so close to the solution I think. Just 1-2 days more of work to be sure. But, please check for the things I say.

And waiting for your C3 feedback also :)

Have a nice day,
peace

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hey John,

I dont understand what you mean with this "C:\Users\Ahmet\Desktop\screenshot.gif" :blink:

As for having something under VDDC, nope there is nothing, But I can get the pull down menu to show current 1.jpg

By Guarantee you meen warrantie right? In that case no it already ended

Here is screenshot of GPU tab 2.jpg

Here is the lowest Lowest.jpg

here is highest Highest.jpg

Hope this helps out

Edited by Gandalf81, 03 September 2013 - 01:07 PM.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
oh man :D I tried to link the Screenshot for GPU-Z :DD but failed I guess.

Now, since we can't see your current readings from GPU-Z, (as with many of the Nvidia cards, sadly).

Do,you have the Nvidia System Monitor installed?, If so, Then there is a section for Power Supply.

Please check if you can see the current of the 12v rail there. If you don't have this tool, we can only proceed with GPU based problem solving, I could not find a reliable source to download Nvidia System Monitoring, so I cant give you a link.

Ok, asking again, what about the guarantee of your GPU? Is it out of guarantee? This is important because, our next step will include bumping the voltage of your gpu, and if that fails too, we should underclock your gpu to see if it is stable with lower clocks. These are all actions that cancels your graphics card's guarantee.

But please download some other game, we must be absolutely sure it is an all around problem before we get into deep stuff ;)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This is the latest version of nvidia system tools I can find.
> http://www.nvidia.co....08-driver.html

The ink is post #37 does give a Demo ver of Crysis to go with the benchmark tool.