Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

only 3.5 GB out of 681GB free on my hard drive [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi Rich :)

Almost, one update failed:
Cumulative security update for internet explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2898785).

What version of Internet Explorer is installed?

Internet Explorer 11

Excellent. :thumbsup: You do not need the update for IE 9 as you have IE 11 :D

How is the computer running?

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red
I will reinstall anti-virus this weekend but everything looks fine. I will give you and update then and you will finally be rid of me ;-)
Thanks for all you have done. What a long strange trip it's been.
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

I will reinstall anti-virus this weekend but everything looks fine. I will give you and update then....

Great! Thank you! If you're going to surf you should definately reinstall the Antivirus now! Right now you have the Windows Firewall and that's it.

Thanks for all you have done. What a long strange trip it's been.

You're very welcome.
Strange trip indeed. I have learned much and I'm sure you have as well.
Run it for a bit, let us know how you do and please put your Antivirus on ASAP!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Ok, I have reinstalled Norton Anti virus. When I check on the Windows firewall it appears that it is turned off but it says the firewall is being "handled" by Norton Antivirus. I am protected, right?
Thanks,
Rich

Edited by 1324, 25 January 2014 - 05:40 PM.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
How is the machine running?

I am protected, right?

Let's be sure:

SecurityCheck by Screen317:

Please also download Security Check by screen317.

•Save it to your Desktop.

•Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.

•A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please also post the contents of that document.

NOTE: If SecurityCheck aborts and you get the following message: UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! Try rebooting the system and then run SecurityCheck again.

We're almost done, Rich!
When you return please answer the question above
Post the SecurityCheck log.

Thank you :D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
See attached. I'm not sure I can find the Security Check log. Security Check 317 ran without interruption and there were no error messages. Are we good?
Thanks,
Rich

Attached Files

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Are we good?

Rich, we're good! :thumbsup: You are good :D Great job!
A few more things to go over. With the clean install in mind, I have some tips and information for you :) Some you've seen, all are important.
If you need help with anything, or have any questions, just ask ;)

1. Antivirus installed :yes:

2. Firewall up running :yes:

3. Malwarebytes is an excellent program. If you have not done so already, that can be downloaded from this link here. It is preferred over Spybot and it's way better ;) Do not install both. Only one.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Update and use it weekly to scan for undesirables.

4. Spybot may be reinstalled if you'd prefer. If so, get your download from Spybot at this link But I really think you'll be much happier with Malwarebytes.

5. You had the MVPShosts file. Not needed. Skip the hosts files. SpyBot and this one. They'll just slow you down unnecessarily.

6. WinPatrol should be downloaded from here.

7. CCleaner. If you must use it, use it for just cleaning temp files, use the wiper service carefully. If you wish to put that back on, get it from them here . Don't use its registry cleaner or any registry cleaner!. They are more trouble than they are worth and can turn your computer into a fancy doorstop.

8. Adobe. You currently do not have Adobe installed. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader from here if you would like it.

Remove the check mark next to Yes, install Google Chrome as my default browser and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer.

• Click the Install Now button to download Adobe Reader and follow the directions.

Alternative Option: You could try installing Foxit Reader from HERE. Foxit Reader is a much smaller program. It has fewer add-ons therefore loads more quickly.
NOTE: When installing FoxitReader, be careful not to install anything to do with AskBar or any other 3rd party software.

Adobe Flash can be downloaded from here.
Again, remove the check mark next to Yes, install Google Chrome as my default browser and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer.

One more thing: Don't take Adobe updates on the fly. Their updates should only come on reboot. Not while you're visiting a website ;)

I think that about covers programs you had installed before.

Remember, download from the source whenever possible. Second alternative FileHippo. CNET last as they have the least clean downloads.
Always read your windows thoroughly so you have a chance to uncheck the box for the usually unwanted addons to a download before you click ok or next or install.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Windows Sidebar Advice

We uninstalled it earlier, but with the reinstall, it's likely back, therefor as It is no longer advisable to have this feature enabled as outline in the below Microsoft article:

Vulnerabilities in Gadgets could allow remote code execution.

I advise you download and run the Disable Windows Sidebar and Gadgets Fixtit Utility to rectify this.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Preventing New Infections

Windows Updates

• It is critical to have both a firewall and an anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated, and to keep your operating system up to date make sure Windows Updates are kept current:

A major essential is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vunerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.
If they are not already or if you need to check:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start Orb. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want. Recommended setting: Install updates automatically

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Program Updates

• Keep Installed Programs Up to Date
It's important to keep all other programs on your computer updated because they can also have security vulnerabilities exploited by the malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications to fix vulnerabilities, this can be done manually by using the Update feature included in most programs or you can use the following program to help you with this:

FileHippo Update Checker

CryptoLocker Warning

There is a particularly nasty infection out there at the moment.

Go here for information about CryptoLocker Ransomeware. Learning about what is out there may help prevent infection. The main thing with this infection here, Rich ~ is Backup. Use the external, keep it unplugged to the computer when you're not backing up files or using it. This will prevent the infection from getting to your backed up files if you ever do come across it.

Download CryptoPrevent free for home use. It will help prevent CryptoLocker.

When installing\updating ANY program, make sure you always select Custom installation, so you can UN-check any possible "drive-by-install" (foistware), like toolbars etc., which may try to install along with the legitimate program. Do NOT click "Next" button without looking at any given page.

To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Miekiemoes.

Surf Safe! :wave:

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I got through all your suggestions (No Spybot or MVPShosts). Got rid of Sidebar. Set Windows updates for automatic. Downloaded Filehippo to help stay current with updates. I will download CryptoPrevent this weekend and follow your suggestions at the bottom. Also, I think that some programs automatically loaded. I will check later. I think they are innocuous but I don't know.
Thanks a million,
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

I got through all your suggestions (No Spybot or MVPShosts). Got rid of Sidebar. Set Windows updates for automatic. Downloaded Filehippo to help stay current with updates. I will download CryptoPrevent this weekend and follow your suggestions at the bottom.

Excellent! :thumbsup: How is the computer running?

Also, I think that some programs automatically loaded. I will check later. I think they are innocuous but I don't know.

Not sure what you mean here, please clarify.

Run the machine a few days and let me know please how it goes. If you suspect anything amiss, please advise.

Thanks a million

You're welcome :)

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
My computer is running great. I have downloaded cryptolocker but one of the options is unchecked and I left it inchecked when I downloaded cryptolocker the box that I left unchecked was "Block Temp Extracted Execuatbles in Archive Files." I hope that is OK. Please advise.

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Also,The programs that automatically loaded I believe were pre-installed software; they are Zya Music...FREE, RaRa Music but I don't find them in Programs so I can't uninstall them. They are just on my desktop. Please advise. Otherwise everything looks fine. I will check back with you in a few days or next weekend to let you know how my computer is running.
Thanks for being so patient with me. You have been wonderful.
Thanks again,
Rich

Edited by 1324, 01 February 2014 - 01:05 PM.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi Rich :D

Apologies for the delay ~

My computer is running great.

Awesome :) Great news!

I have downloaded cryptolocker but one of the options is unchecked and I left it inchecked when I downloaded cryptolocker the box that I left unchecked was "Block Temp Extracted Execuatbles in Archive Files." I hope that is OK. Please advise.

Should be fine. Checking it can cause issues with some apps/installations. Good job :thumbsup:

The programs that automatically loaded I believe were pre-installed software; they are Zya Music...FREE, RaRa Music but I don't find them in Programs so I can't uninstall them.

That is exactly what they are. Otherwise known as Bloatware. Just right click the icons and select Delete.

Otherwise everything looks fine. I will check back with you in a few days or next weekend to let you know how my computer is running.

Great! We still need to make those backups, get ready to throw away those old CDs and make fresh new clean ones.

Thanks for being so patient with me. You have been wonderful.

You are very welcome. I'm glad it went well.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I'll check back later in the week or on the weekend with an update.
Thanks,
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Sounds good, thank you! :thumbsup:

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Bad news. Somehow I have (I think) have a redirect to conduit.com
http://search.condui...3BDB26DD1&SSPV=
I tried downloading turbo tax and Open Office and got this. I'm hopeless, I'm sorry.
Rich