Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

only 3.5 GB out of 681GB free on my hard drive [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Eraser seems to have the same problem.
Session: Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:31:46 PM
Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:31:46 PM Error The program does not have the required permissions to erase the unused space on disk. Run the program as an administrator and retry the operation.
I ran as admin.
Something has changed with my computer.
Rich

Advertisements

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
Hi Rich :)

Ok, it sounds as though the malware may have damaged some file permissions. Let's see if this helps:

Run Windows All-In-One:

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site. Click one of the Download buttons under the Installer (5.30 MB)

1. Right click the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe file and click Run as Administrator

2. Install the program

3. Right Click to Run as Administrator, accept the UAC warning to Allow the Program.

Posted Image

4. Click on the Step 4 tab. Please Create a Restore Point and Backup the Registry.

Posted Image

5. Click on the start repairs tab, and then Click start

Posted Image

5. Make sure all of the items are checked like the image below and in the lower right corner tick Restart system when finished. Then click the Start button.

Posted Image

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I think I might have stumbled on upon something. Originally my computer was setup as 1 account (excuse me if these aren't the correct terms). At some point I added an Admin user (Rich) so I had two accounts/users Rich and Guest. When I turn on my computer I have to decide whether I am Rich or Guest user. If I "choose" Guest and run Eraser as Admin it works. If I choose Rich and run as Admin (or not as Admin) it doesn't work. Does it make sense to delete one of these? There is no difference as far as software or privileges between the two. Maybe there is a simple solution. I'll wait to hear your ideas before before I run Windows All-In-One.
Thanks,
Rich :-)

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I think I stumbled on to more problems. When I chose the "Guest" account I took a look at my drives and what do you think I found? My C drive has 21.2 GB free space out of 681 GB!!!! My D drive (Recovery) has 2.05 GB free space out of 16.6GB!!! So, of course, I thought I better check the "Rich" account. What I found was mystifying. The C drive has 633 GB of free space out of 681GB!!! The D drive has 2.05 GB of free space out of 16.6GB. I hope you can help!!
As always,
Thanks,
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Mystifying indeed. Go ahead and run Windows Repair-All-In-One, that is the issue the tool should fix exactly. If not, we still have other tricks up our sleeve :)

After Windows Repair All-In-One run, and the reboot, check and see if Rich's account is good ~ Run something you could not before.

Then check the guest account and see if it's reading the drive space ok.

If either account is not clear:
If the Rich account still will not run Eraser or CCleaner or
Guest account still does not see correctly
Create a new user account.
Call it Test. Give it admin priviliges. Go to start page in that account.
Reboot and log back into that account.
Check if the Test account sees the drive correctly.
Check if the Test account can run the tools.

Please let me know how it goes :)

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
First, the installer choice is not 5.30 MB it's 5.12 MB. I hope that doesn't matter. Went to Major Geeks and didn't find tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe
but I did find what is below.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair [ 1.24 MB | Freeware | Win7/Vista/XP]

Is that what I should click on?

I'm sorry I'm taking so much of your time.

Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

This page
- Windows Repair 1.9.18 is what you're downloading, when you click the button it asks if you want to download tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe. Click the little arrow to the right of the Save button, and you can direct it to your Desktop. Then follow previous instructions in post #62.
And you are not taking too much of my time, don't worry about it! If you have any problems, or have any questions just ask.
Let me know how it goes.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Both accounts read the drive space ok - 632GB free space on both accounts. However, Rich account cannot run CCleaner or Eraser, same as prior to running Windows Repair All-In-One.
How do I create a new user account?
Thanks,
Rich

Edited by 1324, 07 October 2013 - 06:13 PM.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Both accounts read the drive space ok - 632GB free space on both accounts. However, Rich account cannot run CCleaner or Eraser, same as prior to running Windows Repair All-In-One.
How do I create a new user account?

Thank you for that information :thumbsup: This confirms the user account is indeed corrupted. Directions to address that to follow.

Ok, home stretch here, this ought to do it. Talk about learning cool things: You're going to love this :yes:
You may want to print it, there's quite a few steps. You can do it, no problem :thumbsup:

Fix a Corrupted User Profile

Create New User Accounts

1. Log in to Windows with your administrator account or your Guest account that has administrator privileges.

2. Click the Windows logo button on the keyboard or the Start Orb. ~> Click Control Panel.

3. Two ways for Control Panel to be displayed once opened, I'll give you both:

a. If you're in Category view, click User Accounts and Family Safety ~> then click Add or remove user accounts ~> click Continue on the UAC warning. The Manage Accounts window will open.

Or.....

b. If you're in Classic View, click User Accounts. When the User Accounts window opens, click on Manage another account, click Continue on the UAC warning. The Manage Accounts window will open.

4. Below the box with all accounts listed, Click Create a new account.

5. Type Test as the name for the new user account. Select the account type ~> Administrator. Click Create Account. Log in, allow the Desktop to be created. Log out.

6. Repeat the steps above to create another user account. This will be your new user account so give it a name you want to keep. Log in, allow the Desktop to be created. Log out.

Transfer Corrupted User Files

1. Log in to Windows with the Test user account.

2. Click the Windows logo button on the keyboard or the Start Orb. Click Control Panel

3. In Classic View find and click on Folder Options. Click the View tab.

Note: If you are in the Category view[, click Appearance and Personalization, a new window will open. Click on Folder Options. When the Folder Options window opens, click the View tab.

4. In the Advanced Settings box under Files and Folders click the button beside Show Hidden Files and Folders and clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Apply or Yes in the confirmation message and then click OK. Close Control Panel

5. Click the Windows logo button on the keyboard or the Start Orb. Click on Computer ~> double-click the primary drive of your computer (usually the "C:" drive).

6. Double-click Users folder.

7. Double-click the corrupted Windows user's folder, (this would be the C:\Users\Rich folder) to show its contents in the right side of the window.

• NOTE: If you get a warning that you don't have permissions to access that page, click Continue and you will be given access. If you get a UAC prompt, please allow it.

8. Click the first file or folder listed at the top of the list in the corrupted user's folder. Press and hold the Shift keyboard key. Scroll to the bottom of the corrupted user's folder. Click the last file or folder in the list to simultaneously select it and all the rest of the files. Release the Shift key. All will be highlighted.

9. Press and hold the CTRL keyboard key. Click on the Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.ini and Ntuser.dat.log files to deselect them.

• NOTE: There may be more than one Ntuser.dat.log file. Deselect them all.

10. Release the CTRL button. Right-click on a selected and highlighted file and click Copy. This will copy all of the files.

11. At the top of the Computer window, click the back arrow, or in the Users window, Right-click the new user's account name.

• NOTE: If you get a warning that you don't have permissions to access that page, click Continue and you will be given access. If you get a UAC prompt, please allow it.

12. Click on Paste in the drop down menu.
• NOTE: When you get the warning asking if you want to overwrite the file or folder, check the box to allow all files/folders to be overwritten.

13. Log off of the Windows Test account.

14. Log onto Windows using the new user account you just created.

15. Open the Control Panel and under User Accounts and Family Safety click Add or remove user accounts.

16. Click the Test account and click Delete the account from the list on the left.

After you have confirmed that everything works OK in the new user account you can go back to the Control Panel and delete the old Rich account.

Ok = all your Documents, photos, etc are there.

Please let me know how it goes.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I was doing fine until I got to step #9 and I could not find Ntuser.dat
Please advise.
Thanks,
Rich

Advertisements

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

I was doing fine until I got to step #9 and I could not find Ntuser.dat
Please advise.

The Ntuser.dat files are left. Those are the only files that are not copied over. If you're not seeing any, that could be the cause of the issue with the Rich account ~ why it does not behave properly. Watch how new fresh ones appear when you make the new account.
Would that be the answer you're looking for?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
I must be missing something. I'm not sure what the corrupted files look like. I'll try again later this weekend.
Thanks,
R

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts
How so missing something?
Don't worry about corrupted files. You're highlighting and copying over personal files. That's all :) Leaving the corrupt behind, or if you're not finding the ntuser.dat files, that's the corruption. When you copy the personal files over, fresh ntuser.dat files form. Then all should be good. Does that help? Is there something I can help with?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
23red,
Hi, I need some clarification you say to:

"Click on the Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.ini and Ntuser.dat.log files to deselect them."

I see a ntuser.dat file and ntuser.dat.LOG1 and ntuser.dat.LOG2 files

and then 6 files that start with ntuser.dat followed by {and bunch of letters and numbers}.TMContainer and lots of zeros. regtrans-ms

Then I see 3 files that are NTUSER.DAT followed by {and bunch of letters and numbers}.TMContainer and lots of zeros. regtrans-ms

then a ntuser file and finally

ntuser.pol

Am I supposed to deselect them all?

Thanks,
Rich

Thanks,
Rich

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Am I supposed to deselect them all?

Yes ;) Deselect them all, take no Ntuser files.