Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open Office Calc can't read Excel 2010

• Please log in to reply

shimakaze

shimakaze

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Generally I am great fan of Open Office; it's free yet reliably does what I want it to do with the minimum of fuss. So I was surprised recently when someone sent me a file in Excel 2010. Calc identified it as a Microsoft Excel file but shortly afterwards threw up an Open Office 3.2 message "General Error: general input/ouput error"(which is in itself confusing as I think I have OO 3.4.1 installed). A second test Excel 2010 suffered the same fate. The same file saved in Excel 95-2003 opened perfectly.

Surely OO can cope with Excel 2010? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by shimakaze, 27 August 2013 - 09:48 AM.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
So let me get this right.

You have Open Office, Microsoft Office 95 to 2003 and Microsoft Office 2010 on your machine?

shimakaze

shimakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

So let me get this right.

You have Open Office, Microsoft Office 95 to 2003 and Microsoft Office 2010 on your machine?

No, I only have Open Office 3.4.1. Hitherto it has proved able to convert any file into and out of the Microsoft equivalent without difficulty. Not now; apparently can't cope with MS Excel 2010.

Edit: ah,see your point. The file has been sent to me in both Excel 2010 and Excel 95-2003 formats.

Edited by shimakaze, 25 August 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
MS Office Excel uses .slsx file extentions Shimakaze.

Consider this thread here.

http://forum.openoff...pic.php?t=56020

shimakaze

shimakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

MS Office Excel uses .slsx file extentions Shimakaze.

Consider this thread here.

http://forum.openoff...pic.php?t=56020

Hmm. Thank you: I hadn't realised that .slsx is so fundamentally different from .sls. Looks like I can remove the questionmark from the title: OO Calc is unable to read Excel 2010. Not sure I want to regress to an earlier release so I'm stuck with it. Still surprised to find something that OO doesn't deal with effortlessly.

MiketheFarmer

MiketheFarmer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi all,

shimakaze, no doubt OpenOffice is one great software to perform many operations with ease. Coming back to your issue, I fear that the Excel file you have received is a damaged one. Create multiple copies of that files and try opening the files in another computer which is installed with OpenOffice. If it shows the same error then its for sure that the file is corrupt .. Gain more info with these knowledge-based article
http://www.sooperart...es-1256556.html

Lemme know how it went..

:thumbsup: