Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touchpad not working

• Please log in to reply

Paulray

Paulray

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, I've just done a windows update and my touchpad has stopped working.I've tried a system restore before the update and a full return to factory state restore but nothing's working.I've checked the mouse properties and there's nothing listed under devices i also looked at device manager and there's no category for mouse and other pointing device's.Can anyone help please?Paul

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and full model number of the laptop please?

Let's see if showing hidden devices shows you the Touchpad or an Unknown device:

Create a new Environment variable called devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and set it's value to 1 as follows:
  • Right click on My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the Advanced tab
  • Click on the Environmental Variables button
  • Click the New button under the User variables for xxxxx" area.
  • Set the Variable name as: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
  • Set the Variable value to: 1
  • Click OK as needed to close all the windows you opened.
To see the status of everything in Device Manager:
  • Open Device Manager:
    • XP: Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager
    • Vista, Windows 7:Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings,
    Hardware tab, Device Manager
  • Click on View then Show hidden devices.
  • Click on the + next to anything that shows a yellow mark.

If you see the Touchpad or a Unknown device shows or anything with a yellow mark near it, right click on it and select Uninstall. Close Device Manager then reboot. Windows will re-discover the device and reload the driver. That often fixes problems like this.

If not, go to the manufacturers download page and download and install the latest Touchpad drive, see if that helps.

Paulray

Paulray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've uninstalled it and now i've got a code 10 this device cannot start in the hardware tab of the mouse properties.The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C660-1F1 PSCOQE-02F023EN

Edited by Paulray, 25 August 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you using Vista or Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit?

You can try doing a System Restore to before the Windows Update occurred. If that doesn't help then download and install the latest wireless driver from here: Driver Downloads - Laptops | Toshiba

Paulray

Paulray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm using windows 7 64 bit.I've downloaded and installed the latest touchpad driver but it hasn't helped.What kind of wireless driver should i download,there's a wireless LAN indicator and a wireless LAN driver?