Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display driver igfx stop Responding and has recovered

• Please log in to reply

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Agree with the Kit. The following from an article, referring to laptop heat-sink. (in comments)
"For something like that, I would use the smooth spread method. Getting perfect coverage on a non-square shaped die is going to be difficult unless you do the spreading yourself. If you are unsure if the coverage is good or not, it's usually a good idea to apply the thermal paste, install the heatsink, then remove the heatsink and see how well it spread. Check that the entire die is covered and that not too much was pressed out the sides. You will want to clean off the die and heatsink and reapply the thermal paste, but at least you will know for sure if you are using the right amount."
Source > http://www.pugetsyst...Techniques-170/

You will need the above kit. two magnetic tipped Phillips head screwdriver, a #1 and a #2. Some cotton buds. a can of compressed air. Patience.
Please remember to remove the battery and take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare part of the computer chassis. When blowing air on a fan, place a finger or cotton bud on a vane to prevent it spinning.

another couple of guides.
> http://www.insidemyl...ion-dv4-laptop/
> http://azuliadesigns...pair-hp-laptop/

Hi iamm,

These are very useful guides! Great. I'm still trying build up confidence in doing this so its not immediate action. But I will have to do this one way or another to correct my problem.

Thanks,

olace88

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome olace88.
Take your time doing the job, and good luck.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
How are things going? An update would be appreciated.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Gday.

Hi iamm,

Thanks for the follow up. Not so good. I still have the error popping out even with typical temp readings (even for just browsing FB, youtube, etc.) I believe my display adapter is about to go out anytime soon. The heat must have damaged my onboard display card. With these readings (see attached), disassemblying will probably don't do any good. I'm thinking of replacing my motherboard. I can still do email and browsing but I can't play my online FPS anymore.

Thanks for the help guys. You could probably close this thread for now.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
20130910_temp Readings.PNG

Gday.

Hi iamm,

Thanks for the follow up. Not so good. I still have the error popping out even with typical temp readings (even for just browsing FB, youtube, etc.) I believe my display adapter is about to go out anytime soon. The heat must have damaged my onboard display card. With these readings (see attached), disassemblying will probably don't do any good. I'm thinking of replacing my motherboard. I can still do email and browsing but I can't play my online FPS anymore.

Thanks for the help guys. You could probably close this thread for now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update. Sorry to see the problem is getting worse.

disassemblying will probably don't do any good. I'm thinking of replacing my motherboard.

If it gets to the stage where you have had enough, and you are going to disassemble, I still suggest you try reinstalling the CPU first, cleaning off all the old Tim and applying new.
See what the temps are like. then,

If it is possible for you to borrow a add on GPU and give it a try?
Hate to see you buy a new MB and might not be nec.

We do not close topics, so you can always add here, but if you feel you need to start a new topic, please give a link back here so new staff will see what has been tried and you don't have to explain everything again.

Good luck.

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi iamm,

Thanks for the patience. Are there any add on GPUs for laptops?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
http://www.newegg.co...ategory/ID-3046

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

http://www.newegg.com/USB-Display-Adapters/SubCategory/ID-3046

Thanks. btw, in the speedfan temps...what is temp1? is this the power supply temp?

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
hi iamm,

Also on the external video card, if i install this, does this mean it my laptop will use this automatically instead of my onboard gpu? it'll be my first time to use this so i have no idea.

Thanks!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I think the adapters require an external monitor. Presume you can somehow tell it not to use the builtin in one but haven't ever used one so don't know.

On my PC the first temp is labeled Ambient. I don't think the power supply talks to anybody about its temps.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I said.

If it is possible for you to borrow a add on GPU and give it a try?

You said.

Also on the external video card, if i install this, does this mean it my laptop will use this automatically instead of my onboard gpu?

I was totally wrong.
You cannot add a discrete graphics card to your laptop. Sorry for my mistake and that you are stuck with the onboard graphics.

It may not be worth getting another MB, refurbished ones are around $200, something to consider.
> http://laptops-mothe...-dv4-1431us.htm