Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop keeps turning off while trying to reinstall OS

• Please log in to reply

gfr530

gfr530

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My HP Centrind Duo laptop with Windows XP kept shutting down while I was using it. I discovered that the hard drive was almost full and since I didn't have anything important to worry about saving I formatted the hard drive and now each time I try to reinstall the XP OS, it goes for a little while and then it shuts down. What could be causing this to happen?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Overheating, flaky RAM.

Edited by SpywareDr, 04 September 2013 - 04:34 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: gfr530

Please explain what you mean by "it goes for a little while and then it shuts down"
Does the notebook shutdown before the OS is fully installed and if so do you get any error messages first or do you hear a click and the notebook simply switches off, if it is the latter I would suspect overheating as the cause which can also affect the Ram.

Can I ask what type of XP disk it is that you are using as in is it a full retail Microsoft disk, a HP branded installation disk, another OEM brand name XP disk, a back up disk that you created yourself or a burned copy.

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc"