Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will this processor work nice

• Please log in to reply

coguy321

coguy321

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I might get a laptop computer and I like these features on it (processor is the only thing I'm not sure about):
*8GM of memory
*Memory type: DDR3
*Memory Speed: PC3-10600 or 1333MHz
*Memory Configuration: 4GB + 4GB
*64-bit
*Windows 7 Pro
*AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.7GHz
*Graphics Specs for GPU/VPU: AMD Radeon HD 7520G

-----------------

My questions are will these 4 separate software requirements below works smooth and nice on this computer? If not, which one(s) could have a problem.
I'm new to anything dealing with processors.

>Software #1 requirements:
*Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
*Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3 or Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1.
1 GB of RAM
OpenGL 2.0–capable system

>Software #2 requirements:
Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 and Windows® 8.
4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
OpenGL 2.0–capable system

>Software #3 requirements:
For 64-bit:
*Windows 8 Standard, Enterprise, or Professional edition, Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium edition (compare Windows versions), or Windows XP Professional (SP2 or later).
*Athlon 64 with SSE2 technology, AMD Opteron™ processor with SSE2 technology, Intel® Xeon® processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology, or Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology
*2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)

>Software #4 requirements:
*Windows XP or higher
*DirectX 9.0c
*Graphics adapter with shader model 2.0 or higher support
*Intel Dual Core or higher CPU
*2GB of system memory
*At least 128MB of dedicated video memory

Any help would be very appreciated,
Thanks.

Edited by coguy321, 04 September 2013 - 12:20 AM.

Advertisements

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
The Operating System should be the least of your worries. Since you have a 8GB RAM, your laptop will definitely handle any of them smoothly.

However, this is a pretty weak laptop, and you clearly did not stated for what use you are going to use that laptop.

Please tell us for what job you are planning to use this laptop, and me or any other staff can tell you if this laptop is suitable for you and if the CPU will be sufficient.

Ok? :)

Waiting for your response if I know more about what you normally do or planning to do with your laptop, then I can be more of a help ;)

Take care,
Peace

coguy321

coguy321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Adobe After Effects CS6 or Adobe Premiere Elements 11 is some software I will likely install. I want to be able to play and edit HD 1080p videos pretty smoothly without video twitching or graphic freezes. I'll probably also use Photoshop.
AutoCAD 2014 is one more software I'll use sometimes and I want it to run good and smooth.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Adobe After Effects CS6 or Adobe Premiere Elements 11 is some software I will likely install. I want to be able to play and edit HD 1080p videos pretty smoothly without video twitching or graphic freezes. I'll probably also use Photoshop.
AutoCAD 2014 is one more software I'll use sometimes and I want it to run good and smooth.

This will depend on your GPU (video card) so what do you have in it? Download Speccy, run it and post the summary.

coguy321

coguy321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

This will depend on your GPU (video card) so what do you have in it? Download Speccy, run it and post the summary.

I don't have the computer yet, I'm just deciding if this specific computer I'm thinking of buying will work well or not.
But the specifications show the GPU to be: AMD Radeon HD 7520G

Thanks.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well, for everything you stated above, this laptop wont be any good to you. First of all, it has a weak processor, and most importantly, hd 7520G is a GPU that is barely enough to play 1080p videos, let alone editing them. Please tell me your budget and then I can help you with choosing a more appropriate laptop for your needs, because you will definitely curse the day you ever buy this one :D None of those programs would work smooth on this system.

REMEMBER: Never let high amounts of RAM fool you, it is now a famous trick every brand use to trick customers. They put a lot of RAM (cause its very very cheap nowadays) and the rest is crap. So please inform me of your budget, or don'T hesitate to PM me, I will be more than happy to help you ;)

Take care,
Peace

coguy321

coguy321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Well, for everything you stated above, this laptop wont be any good to you. First of all, it has a weak processor, and most importantly, hd 7520G is a GPU that is barely enough to play 1080p videos, let alone editing them. Please tell me your budget and then I can help you with choosing a more appropriate laptop for your needs, because you will definitely curse the day you ever buy this one :D None of those programs would work smooth on this system.

REMEMBER: Never let high amounts of RAM fool you, it is now a famous trick every brand use to trick customers. They put a lot of RAM (cause its very very cheap nowadays) and the rest is crap. So please inform me of your budget, or don'T hesitate to PM me, I will be more than happy to help you ;)

Take care,
Peace

I would like to get:
>Around 8GM of RAM if possible
>Windows 7 preferable
>A screen over 15 inches
>At least 500GB of hard drive space
>A processor/graphics card that can handle the above software good.
>Hopefully one that is less than $700 or $800

Thanks for the help.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well, there is nothing really useful I could find for 800dollars or less,
but check out the links below. They might get you an overall idea, maybe you even buy one of them. Also, check out MSI I will give you a link too.

Here is what I would buy, If I were you, Alienware. Owned by Dell, but definitely the best of its class. They are heavier than regular laptops and more appropriate for in-home usage. Not exactly to use on your lap, or carry around in the streets in your hand. But, this is the most suitable product closer to your needs.

PS: if you are willing to spend some more bucks, you can always customize your Alienware laptop, so if you want something extra you can just select it for some extra.

Alienware 14

REMEMBER: you buy a computer once, so buy it well and don'T regret it till your next computer. Spending some extra dollars won't hurt, especially if you are going to use it for design and rendering jobs you stated above.

And here is the closest option to Alienware by price.

Dell Inspiron 17

Also, check out MSI, their gaming and workstation laptops look good. But, prices and specs are all the same for your range of budget.

MSI laptops - gaming

But as for me, I would definitely go with the Alienware laptop. They are not known for their ergonomy and energy efficiency, but absolute power and performance ;) And make sure any model you choose has an Nvidia graphics card, better than GT650. This should be minimum specs for a graphics card. Normally I am an AMD fanboy :D but your case requires Nvidia for rendering (their CUDA core technology is the best for rendering. )

That's it,
dont hesitate to ask for my opinion on whatever laptop you will choose, the ones above or another, just give a link to your post so I can check it out.
+1 if it helps ;)
Peace

coguy321

coguy321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for all the information, it helps.

JohnSheen

JohnSheen

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
You are welcome, please write if you have any further questions.

Advertisements

coguy321

coguy321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I decided look into desktops since laptops will be more than what I want to spend.
I liked the Alienware X51, but I think I've decided to build a computer so that I can get a little extra power and more energy efficient parts for about the same price. I've found all the parts I like, except I'm trying to decide on the CPU.
I'm thinking maybe one of the Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 CPU chips that have the HD Graphics 4600. They are between 3.00 and 3.50 GHz.

Does anyone know if one or all of these CPUs below can run 1080p video smoothly without a video card (just running on the built-in CPU HD Graphics 4600)? And will it run smooth when editing 1080p videos in Adobe After Effects CS6 or Adobe Premiere Elements 11 without a video card?

Intel Core i5-4430 @ 3.00GHz http://www.cpubenchm...-4430 @ 3.00GHz
Intel Core i5-4570 @ 3.20GHz http://www.cpubenchm...-4570 @ 3.20GHz
Intel Core i7-4770S @ 3.10GHz http://cpubenchmark....3.10GHz&id=1884

If the CPUs can't handle 1080p video editing its self, then I guest I'll buy a lower cost CPU, and then buy a lower cost graphics card that is fanless.

Any info would be appreciated.

Edited by coguy321, 16 September 2013 - 10:27 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
The Intel Graphics 4600 has been tested on this list. May be OK for Adobe Premiere Elements 11 but cannot tell you how it performs.
> http://helpx.adobe.c...sors__GPU_cards

You will need better graphics for Adobe After Effects CS6
> http://www.studio1pr...fterEffects.htm
Adobe Video editing requires.
The fastest CPU you can afford.
Min 16GB RAM.
CUDA capable GPU.
At least 3 HDD.

If you give us your max budget, we can if you wish, spec a system for your.

coguy321

coguy321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks, I'm trying to stay below $700 or $800, but at the same time have good quality parts with good energy efficiency. The computer won't be for gaming, mainly just for simple graphics and video editing kind of work, so I'm going to try and build one with just enough power to work fairly smoothly and without errors.

Case will be around $50

For Powers supply I like the 80 Plus Gold Certified models that are energy efficient. I found one for about $40 I like.

For the Motherboard I like the MSI H87-G43: $100 (there maybe a cheaper one but still with good quality?)

For CPU I was liking one these three, but I'm still undecided: $190 to $310
Intel Core i5-4430 @ 3.00GHz Thermal Design Power: 84W
Intel Core i5-4570 @ 3.20GHz Thermal Design Power: 84W
Intel Core i7-4770S @ 3.10GHz Thermal Design Power: 65W (I wonder why this one uses less power?)

For memory I was looking at two 4 GB Corsair chips (8GB total). $65

For HDD I liked a 1TB drive. $90 (But I might go as low as about 700GB)

DVD/multidrive about $20

Windows 7 64-bit: $100

Fanless graphics card may be needed if the built-in CPU HD Graphics 4600 can't handle the software I'll be using? (Fanless to hopefully save on energy costs)

Total:
$655 to $775

I'll be buying maybe a 20" LCD screen, so the graphics will need to support that size of screen.

Right now I just want 8GB of ram, I can always add more if needed later on. I may never install Adobe After Effects CS6, but if I do it will likely be in some other future year (so I could just add a graphics card later if I need it for any higher software like After Effects CS6 ).

Also, I found the the After Effects CS6 requirements (which show lower RAM etc. then that other site, so it may work ok):
After Effects CS6 system requirements

Edited by coguy321, 17 September 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
For PSU go Seasonic or Seasonic made branded model. That $40 "gold certified" sound junk to me. You won't get a good PSU for $40.

coguy321

coguy321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks, Your probably right, Looks like Rosewill maybe the king based on lots of ratings, and Seasonic has many high ratings also, although some of theirs are rated a little below at "4 star".

Edited by coguy321, 17 September 2013 - 06:09 PM.