Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows User Account Password Resets

• Please log in to reply

JRHT

JRHT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I'm not 100% sure this is a virus or malware problem, but it sure *seems* like one, so I thought I'd post something here.

In short, my windows user account password keeps resetting.

Usually, my user accounts are set to auto login.

On the first instance of this appearing, when turning on my PC, the Windows login screen appears. Mine is the only user account and selecting it does not require a password.

After a restart (or a full shut down and boot up), the Windows login screen appears and (assuming that I've turned auto-login back on) informs me that my password is incorrect. My user account is present, but another option marked "Other User" is now visible.

Using my Windows CD, I can utilise the System Restore function which solves the problem temporarily, but after one reset or shut down/boot up sequence, it reverts back to what I referred to as the first instance.

Can someone please help me diagnose and correct this problem?

Edit: For the record, no one else uses this PC and it's not part of a network where an administrator would change my password.

Edited by JRHT, 05 September 2013 - 02:55 AM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,395 posts
Hi JRHT :welcome:

The Auto Login feature works better if you set a password on the user account, try that and see if it solves your problem.
After setting the password don't forget to configure the auto login and input the new password.

JRHT

JRHT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! That appears to be working. I'll come back with an update if something borks itself at a later date!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,395 posts

Thanks! That appears to be working. I'll come back with an update if something borks itself at a later date!

Ok. And if you suspect of malware we can do other checks.