Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi lowra muser

No problem as computer problems do tend to be quite stressful :(

Yes run the HDD test please.

NB: There may have been a bit of dust on the optical drives laser.

Advertisements

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Cheers Posted Image

The latest... have booted the HDD test and... Powermax 4.23 says...

'Scanning for Drives (Up to 1 minute)... To be fair, it doesn't seem to be scanning anything... has been in this state for about 10 mins...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Is the HDD activity LED blinking - if not leave it for a while longer and if it still appears inactive cancel it and try running Chkdsk please, once this test has started it must be allowed to complete;

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually.
On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for an hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will hopefully boot the system back into Windows.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Heya...

The programme seems to be frozen... keyboard not responding?

edit: sorry, misinterpreted last message. i have reset pc and will try checkdisk now...

edit 2: okay, chkdsk is working. will let it run...

Cheers Posted Image

Edited by lowra muser, 22 September 2013 - 10:17 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No problem :thumbsup:

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Okay, great. chkdsk has finished and Windows has powered up. There are instructions online to get chkdsk results from event viewer, but will await your response... Need a break anyhow ;)

Cheers for now Posted Image

Edited by lowra muser, 22 September 2013 - 12:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Leave the computer checking for Windows updates while you have a break and post back with an update for us only when you are ready to :thumbsup:

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Status update:
1. Have been trying to do windows updates, but to no joy PS attempted to do it a few times but froze in the process, now you get error code: 0x80003FA when you try.
2. Usual in that shuts down when using youtube etc...
3. Randomly tried the HDD again yesterday - didn't work...

Where do you think we need to go from here?

Cheers Posted Image

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
A suggestion but, I would prefer that you get the go ahead from Phillpower2 before running the Microsoft Auto Fixit for update problems, as he may try something else first.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Thanks.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
No worries. Thank you iammykl Posted Image

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for pitching in iammykyl :thumbsup:

lowra muser it is fine to run Microsoft Auto Fixit so I will wait on your next update before adding anything further.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Have managed to get Autofixit to repair Windows Update!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhaaaaaah!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!! Posted Image Finally!! Okay...

• So I have attached reports/screenshots for the initial Windows Update Report.
  • Then 2 screenshots for 2 failed 'Custom' updates
  • Then a screenshot from Autofixit re: fixing IE from crashing via video playback - it would not do auto repair and thus the custom asks, as you know, to choose files for deletion - Not sure whether we need to touch this?
Cheers for now!

edit: It seems I have forgotten how to upload files! Posted Image 'Click to attach files' may not be the right button?...Posted Image

Edited by lowra muser, 29 September 2013 - 07:22 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello lowra muser

A refresher for you should it be required;

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya...

Thanks for that. I had already looked at the post from way back at the start to see about uploading. I already have the files ready for upload. It is just the 'browse' button to click... I can not see it anywhere?

I have been very busy of late and still trying to shake off the flu! So the brain is sluggish! That's my excuse anyway. Ha ha. Anyways... Sure you don't need to hear any of that.

Preparing for somebody to point me to the 'browse' button that is probably staring me in the face...

Cheers Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello lowra muser

There could be a gremlin in the system as I have just tried the upload button and it would not work :unsure:

I will ask that it is checked out for you by the hierarchy.