I have a version of XP Pro installed on my PC. It seems to work fine so far (the odd rare crash of chrome, but nothing like before).- Though it will not allow windows update.Retrospective on what's happened before this point
1. I tried to install XP from the i386 folder. But, the required program or file was not there. I also installed an application (forget the name) that finds the installation program by scanning the HDD - It could not find it as did not exist.
2. I do not have the original CD for Win XP Pro. I have the instruction manual, cert of authenticity and key code, but no disc. Previous owners (my parents) have misplaced it.
3. Trawled the net for legit ISO... Man! I couldn't find one, put it that way.
4. DL'd a version that works, but I'm not happy for a few reasons, one being you can not update it
5. Have found an .iso that looks official (SP3)... but when I installed it failed on not loading 'shell32.dll' file* - Tried to reinstall, but got same problem. Then looked on Google and somebody suggested repairing it by running checkdsk within the Repair facility; tried, but needed password for admin, which didn't have [Enter alone did not work]
6. Reinstalled version that works for now.
6. Could try again to DL and burn version of the iso as just mentioned in point . Maybe burn it at a slower rate this time ie. x4 or x8 to see if it works? But would prefer a legit .iso - currently in the process of asking friends if they have a copy of original...
*** Realise, it's my bad (form) should of come back before I tried all this!
Any ideas where to go from here guys? I will post in the Win Xp forum if needed too.