Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi iammykyl,

Thanks for reponse...

Okay, will get the PSU tested under load asap - Will report back on here...

Re: The following...

Have you got the XP product Key? - Yes
Have you got the MB driver/utilities installation CD? - I can find out... very possibly...
Does your optical drive play CDs? - Yes
Them we should look at reinstall or repair of the OS. - Okay

Will get back asap... Cheers :)

Edited by lowra muser, 15 October 2013 - 05:34 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya... Just a quick polite update...

Not had chance to call many places re:PSU tested under load as of yet. Called one today, wanted £15. Will try over next couple of days to see if can get cheaper. Probably looking to get tested early next week now... If before will be a bonus ;)

Thanks

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted ImagePosted Image

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi iammykyl,

Have just had PSU tested (£5). Hay! They didn't give me a printout, but said that the 12v is running at 11v (though it should be okay) and that everything else is fine.

Presuming that this is okay? Everything else is good to go... apart from MB/Utilities disc. Could possibly get the disc before next week, but would be a mission! (though not out of the question).

If we did get chance to go ahead before next week, maybe we could DL program(s) and burn to disc on my PC? or create an .iso on my USB stick from this laptop. But, will see how things develop and will await to see what you suggest...

Cheers, lowramuser Posted Image

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Have just had PSU tested (£5). Hay! They didn't give me a printout, but said that the 12v is running at 11v (though it should be okay) and that everything else is fine.

Not good news as 11 volts is below the allowed tolerance see table at link Incorrect voltage will cause instability in the system resulting in crashes or damage to parts. I recommend buying a new good quality PSU before proceeding any further.

> http://pcsupport.abo...e-tolerance.htm

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi again iammykyl,

Okay, apologies from me. After looking at the table from the link you gave, I checked the PSU. The sticker on the side of the PSU from today's check reads 11.7v. The guy on reception at the shop said 11v. I will call them tomorrow to check... But, would this be worth a shot if it is 11.7 as it's over the 11.4?

Will definitely call them tomorrow. Apologies for the mix up!

Thanks

edit: Called the repair shop today and they confirmed it is 11.7v

Edited by lowra muser, 25 October 2013 - 01:21 PM.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi iammykyl...

Polite enquiry: Was just wondering if you had seen my latest post and update re: PSU and whether it changes our options at all?

Many Thanks :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry, saw you post 25 Oct, but missed your edit 26 Oct.

OK, we will attempt a clean install of the OS, Make sure that you back up any data you need to an external source as a clean install will totally wipe the whole drive, including all DATA and any installed programs.
If you are not 100% sure of the OS product key, download this program to search, save or print the result, > http://www.rjlsoftwa.../winproductkey/
Please try to locate the MB installation support CD, as without it you will have a lot of work to do.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hey...

Okay, I have hopefully got everything we need to proceed...

1. Win XP - Product Key + Manual
2. Gigabyte "Intel Platform Utility CD for XP" for NVIDIA Chipsets/Audio/Network/Serial ATA + Manual
3. All required data is backed-up on external HD

Posted Image Cheers for now...

PS. iammykyl... As a thought: As the Gigabyte disc says '64-bit ready', and (if all is working) my PC has 4Gb of Ram... Would we have the option to clean install Windows XP in 64-bit mode? Thought would ask before potential start, rather than later. Thanks

Edited by lowra muser, 30 October 2013 - 08:22 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.

Would we have the option to clean install Windows XP in 64-bit mode?

If the Windows XP disc is 64 bit, then you can install that, but, if you have any 32 bit only installation discs or saved programs, they will not work, you will need to find 64 bit versions. The Gigabyte disc will automatically y install the same version as the OS, you cannot force it to install 64bit if the OS is 32bit.
As a refresher, below is a how to. After you have installed the OS, install the MB drivers and utilities, install the video card drivers, update the OS.
Install virus protection, I use Avast! free, >http://www.avast.com...CFYQdpQodvkMAyg

I advice against using programs that promise to make you system go fast/optimize/repair/reg clean, especially CCCleaner, they usually cause more damage than help.

Please read the How to, get back to us if you have any questions, > http://pcsupport.abo...nstxpclean1.htm

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Chaps,

I have a version of XP Pro installed on my PC. It seems to work fine so far (the odd rare crash of chrome, but nothing like before).- Though it will not allow windows update.

Retrospective on what's happened before this point

1. I tried to install XP from the i386 folder. But, the required program or file was not there. I also installed an application (forget the name) that finds the installation program by scanning the HDD - It could not find it as did not exist.

2. I do not have the original CD for Win XP Pro. I have the instruction manual, cert of authenticity and key code, but no disc. Previous owners (my parents) have misplaced it.

3. Trawled the net for legit ISO... Man! I couldn't find one, put it that way.

4. DL'd a version that works, but I'm not happy for a few reasons, one being you can not update it

5. Have found an .iso that looks official (SP3)... but when I installed it failed on not loading 'shell32.dll' file* - Tried to reinstall, but got same problem. Then looked on Google and somebody suggested repairing it by running checkdsk within the Repair facility; tried, but needed password for admin, which didn't have [Enter alone did not work]

6. Reinstalled version that works for now.

6. Could try again to DL and burn version of the iso as just mentioned in point [5]. Maybe burn it at a slower rate this time ie. x4 or x8 to see if it works? But would prefer a legit .iso - currently in the process of asking friends if they have a copy of original...

*** Realise, it's my bad (form) should of come back before I tried all this!

Any ideas where to go from here guys? I will post in the Win Xp forum if needed too.

Many Thanks :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello lowra muser

There are no legitimate XP ISO downloads for the end user and the ones that are available for developers to work with have stringent restraints on them such as the length of time that they can be used before the developer must purchase a product key, stay away from anything dubious or risk getting infected with malware, arrested or worse still both!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Re, Phillpower3's comment, > http://pcsupport.abo...-windows-xp.htm
Unfortunately, looks like we have come to full stop trying to repair your system. You will need to buy a new OS. XP or go to windows 7.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The Recovery Console disk provided courtesy of Artellos is worth a try;

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Extra Files.
  • Please copy the codebox below into the text area.

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

• The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.