Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Thank you for that. I have the ISO burnt. Any suggestions on where I go from here please? I honestly don't know from here...

Many Thanks for the continued help.

Lowra muser

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts
Please see Here

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Thanks for that. I did run the recovery console last night, which I didn't mention. It is what to do once in there where I am a unsure. I will look into it... Hopefully putting this to bed. I did try to run a clean install with the recovery disc but it said has 'no-end-user-agreement' which I guess explains the fact that it is a 'recovery' disc... not 'installation'.

• I will try the chkdsk facility from inside the recovery console and see if this helps - though, I do wonder, as the version I am trying to repair is not a windows-updatable version
  • Try to get a xp disc off friends and install.
  • Long term I am going to convert to Windows 7

If any further thoughts come to mind, please post. I will post back with any positive updates.

Thanks Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts
:thumbsup:

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi there,

Well, I have finally installed WINXP on to my PC. I got an OEM official disk in the end with a new product key from microsoft! - All good :)

I am now getting BSOD's...

Guys... I am trying to find out what is broken on my PC...

I'm presuming that you would say to look at the following:
  • Graphics - I was getting nv4.disp_dll BSOD - A Google search said to delete all nvidia drivers and close down and do Memtest86 on RAM (Which I have done) - I have not rebooted yet and reinstalled nvidia drivers though.
  • Re: Graphics before uninstall of nvidia drivers the ce7100/630i MCP73PV driver was missing and I was trying to DL - Nvidia scan from official site said there was not a driver available, though they are available to DL from other sources
  • RAM (I have tested both 2gb sticks of RAM individually, neither stick will test on Memtest - the program seizes up - But put both sticks back in and Memtest will run with errors coming back - you may remember this happened before, but as the RAM was purchased brand new - found this suspicious)
  • Motherboard - Would like to find out if it is faulty
  • Processor - Would like to find out if it is faulty
  • HDD - Tried the Maxtor Powermax 4.23 disk and it just idles and does not test the drive
Please, if anybody has any advice on the checks I can run, that would be great. Thanks for any help you can give. I have come this far, I don't intend to give up now.

Many Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts
Hello lowra muser

Since you reinstalled XP have you reinstalled the MBs drivers and very importantly the chipset drivers first.

You should also restore the MBs default settings in the BIOS and install all important XP updates, the latter will take considerable time, that is if it hasn`t already been done.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Phillpower2,

Since you reinstalled XP have you reinstalled the MBs drivers and very importantly the chipset drivers first.

I did re-install the drivers from the Gigabyte disk - though not sure if I installed the chipset drivers first? (what are the chipset drivers - if it is the graphics card - I think there was a problem with it? please see last post re: Graphics. Will I need to re-install?)

You should also restore the MBs default settings in the BIOS and install all important XP updates, the latter will take considerable time, that is if it hasn`t already been done.

Yes, XP updates have been done, there were about 180 of them or something like that. There were some problems , but managed to DL and update them all in the end.

I have not restored the MB's default settings in the BIOS. I will do that as long as I don't have to do any of your previously mentioned points before hand...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts
The chipset drivers have many purposes and are required for such items as the integrated video chip, north/southbridge chips, add on card and memory slots etc.

Restoring the MBs default settings can be done when you are ready.

Keep in mind lowra muser that the MBs integrated video chip is only 128MB and that it relies on the system Ram for support, if there is a problem with the Ram or the memory slots then the video chip can also be affected, hence the reason for restoring the default settings in case something is not right.

I will be going offline shortly as I have an early start in the morning so hopefully iammykyl will be around while I am not.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Okay. Thank you for the advice :)

I will restore the MB to default settings... Though have earlyish start too, so won't be on much longer either :)

Cheers and thanks for getting back

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
First of all I restored 'optimized default settings' it said the drive was running in IDE mode and should it be set to SATA, I said 'Yes' to SATA, though, as before, the PC BSOD's and then folds. So no worries, rebooted and restored 'fail safe settings'. The PC has booted up XP.

Have not installed drivers yet. Will look to do that tomorrow from the Gigabyte disk that came with the MB - unless you guys recommend going on-line etc... If I don't hear and I go ahead, I can always uninstall and re-install if needs be. Either way, I will install the Chipset Driver/s first.

Also, in the MB manual it talks about updating the BIOS. New ground for me Posted Image

Cheers Posted Image

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday folks, Posted Image
Please give the brand/model number of the currently instilled RAM.
Also the brand/model of the PSU.
Do you have a add on video card installed?
Are you using the XP firewall?
Have you installed any Virus Protection Software?

Either way, I will install the Chipset Driver/s first.

Yes, Boot to the MB disc, follow the prompts and when you get to the screen, (Express install, custom/advanced) > Choose custom or advance, at the next window,
Make sure all the boxes are ticked except, (towards the bottom of the screen) anything that says, Trial or free, > then click next.
When finished, your computer should boot into windows.

Pleas do not do any other updates, we will look at a BIOS update later if needed. just report back the state of the computer.
Thanks.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi iammykyl :)

just off out now... I will reply later... Cheers :)

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya... Just to let you guys know. I have avast installed as you recommended before (though do use it myself as a rule ;)). do have xp firewall working.

Though... I already have Java Updated. Jfyi as you said do not do any more updates. I weill continue with MB disk, though you cannot boot from it... it only gives option for xpressrecovery2. Will boot from within windows.

will report back with other data :) though it is mentioned in my previous posts :)

back asap. Cheers

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
The drivers will not load apart from one (vga driver)... if I access the gigabyte disk from 'D' Drive it says the drivers are already installed (even though I have deleted them - could this be as something is left in the registry?)

Why is nothing ever easy with this PC!!!Posted Image

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the updates.
OK for the Firewall, Anti Virus, Java.

I weill continue with MB disk, though you cannot boot from it... it only gives option for xpressrecovery2.

Please take a picture of the dixc and include in your next reply.

will report back with other data :) though it is mentioned in my previous posts

I believeyou tried a different PSU and different RAM. So to make sure of what is currently installed.
Please answerall these questions.
What PSU is installed now, brand/model.
What RAM is installed now, brand/model.
Have you installed a add on video card?
Please post the answers fir and then do the following,

Create a new folder on the Desktop and call it Geeks.
Go to > http://www.revounins...e_download.html Download the free version and save the Geek folder on the desktop