Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps cutting out and rebooting randomly

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Well that looks like the USB ports are OK.
Yes, it would be a good idea to connect the computer via Ethernet cable. leave the mouse on PS/2, connect the keyboard to front USB socket.

Advertisements

Shatarupa1

Shatarupa1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks.This will help.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Trying to connect to web through ethernet cable....

Error: Internet Expolrer cannot display the webpage -

Then: Network Diagnostics for Windows XP = Windows could not detect any wired or wireless network cards..

BUT! The 1394 Net Adapter within Network Connections says its connected and the 1394 Net Adapter says it's working properly within properties? Not sure if we are missing a driver etc... Not really sure what I'm talking about! Lol

Will look on google to try and resolve while waiting to see what we are going to do next...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK.
Please make sure the wireless Dongle is removed. Ethernet cable connected. No browser running.
Go, > start.
> Settings.
> Network Connection.
> New Connection Wizard.
Follow the prompts.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya Michael,

Okay. I had tried as you suggested before. But did this again, to be fair not sure if I did do a new connection last time.

So attempted to connect to the internet. The onboard card trhat is attached to the motherboard came back saying device not working. Me and my housemate (who knows more than me about pc's) then installed another PCI card to the motherboard. We had more success with this one. We reset the IP address for the added ethernet card in cmd... using ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew. PC

The PC can see the card, tries to get an IP address. BUt then says there is limited or no connectivity... This is not true as everybody else in the house can use the web. I am attached to the router using ethernet cable.

Cheers, Craig

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The onboard card trhat is attached to the motherboard came back saying device not working.

What card? installed in which slot? Are you using it to connect to the internet?

then installed another PCI card to the motherboard.

You should not be using any add on card to connect to the intersect. The Motherboard has on board LAN. See Pic.
The only add on card that should be installed on the MB is the Video card. Please remove any others. Making shnges without instructions are going to cause additional issues.

So that we can see the options on the MB driver disc.
Can you load it into the optical drive of a computer that is running. Take a screenshot of the window that opens and include in your next post, then eject the disc.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Michael,

Sorry for delayed response. Had a very busy week.Posted Image

Okay, I will remove the additional Ethernet card that me and my housemate installed, I will uninstall the driver too. - I presumed you guys wouldn't be happy... but, was just trying to get the PC working. I hear you though, and will stick to the plan.

The Ethernet will be plugged back as your attached .jpg suggests

Will post back here this evening with CD screenshot (hopefully)

Cheers, Craig

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya...

I have attached a screenshot jpg of the Gigabyte MB Utility Disk as you asked...

Also. I have attached a screenshot of the driver (to be removed) for the additional ethernet card that I installed (baring in mind, I only added the card as the onboard ethernet card/port was coming up as unresponsive) - Unless I hear otherwise I will remove the driver.

Cheers for now Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• GB Utility Disk Screenshot.JPG
  • added ethernet card driver.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Leave the driver talented for the moment.
Please take a screenshot of the Device manager showing LAN/ether net connections.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hiya...

Have included screenshot... BUT don't know where all of those miniport's have come from??? They weren't there before?

The PC has struggled to boot up a few times too? Can't remember experiencing it with this PC before

Cheers for now

Attached Thumbnails

• LAN.JPG

Advertisements

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Posted ImageHope everybody has had a good Christmas :)

Just a polite bump

Cheers

Edited by lowra muser, 29 December 2013 - 05:24 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
My apologies lowra muser, I completely missed your reply.
I want to do another install of XP as I think there is something basically wrong.

Please make sure only these devices are connected.
Ethernet cable.
Mouse and Keyboard.
Monitor.
No Webcam, printer, or anything using the USB ports.

Please read and use Method 2 from this Tutorial to install XP > http://www.wikihow.c...tall-Windows-XP

When installation is finished and windows boots to the Desktop. Do not update. Please post and tell us it is completed.

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
No worries, going ahead with install as per link now. Though I have had to use one usb terminal for the keyboard. I did purchase a ps/2 for keyboard, though it did not work before (not sure whether it was connector, port or driver/bios-selection-required problem)... and unfortunately, can not find it at the moment.

Please let me know if this will be a problem. I am continuing now.

Cheers

lowra muser

lowra muser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Okay! Installation complete and NO updates...

Ready when you are :) Cheers

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Great news.

first I need another screenshot of the MB disc showing what is displayed when you click on the Software Aplication on the left. Can you load it into the optical drive of a computer that is running. Take a screenshot of the window that opens and include in your next post, then eject the disc.If the list will not fit the window, please scroll and take a second shot.