Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Windows 7 wont load past welcome screen.

• Please log in to reply

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My laptop was working fine one day and then i turned it on the next to find that it would not load past the 'welcome' screen. It eventually froze and i had to force shut it down by pressing the button. This is still happening after a week and i have tried to start it in safe mode however the same thing happens and it freezes. I never received a disc with the laptop and don't have the windows 7 disc. Is there anything i can do to fix this, preferably without deleting everything on the laptop? Do you need the disc to restore it to a previous time in which it did work? Is there anything i can download from another laptop to fix this? please help!
Thank you!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi eWinchester :welcome:

By any chance do you recall if Windows was doing Updates when the problem started?

Try pressing F8 during boot to access the Advanced boot options:
Posted Image
and select Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced)

See if it works. If not you can use Repair Your Computer and then start System Restore to go back to a date before the problem (Tutorial).

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried that and it failed to work and now when i turn on the laptop it says "Bootmgr is missing, press ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart". I found a tutorial online of creating a windows 7 repair disk from another laptop and created that however after doing number 8 on these instructions http://www.terabyteu...icle.php?id=411 , an error occured saying "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows". Would this be due to the other laptop i used to create the disc being 64bit whereas the other (Toshiba satellite - that i'm trying to fix) may be 32? any suggestions? is there any other recovery disk i can download that will work? thank you!

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Alright i downloaded a windows 7 recovery boot cd and fixed the "bootmgr is missing" problem however it is back to the main problem that it won't load past the welcome screen? in desperate need of help!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I tried that and it failed to work and now when i turn on the laptop it says "Bootmgr is missing, press ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart". I found a tutorial online of creating a windows 7 repair disk from another laptop and created that however after doing number 8 on these instructions http://www.terabyteu...icle.php?id=411 , an error occured saying "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows". Would this be due to the other laptop i used to create the disc being 64bit whereas the other (Toshiba satellite - that i'm trying to fix) may be 32? any suggestions? is there any other recovery disk i can download that will work? thank you!

Yes the OS architecture must match.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Alright i downloaded a windows 7 recovery boot cd and fixed the "bootmgr is missing" problem however it is back to the main problem that it won't load past the welcome screen? in desperate need of help!

Hi,

The bootmgr problem start after using the Last Known Good Configuration option of after using System Restore?

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The bootmgr problem was a result of following another tutorial of writing in and changing the active partition thing. However this is all fixed now but back to the original problem of it not loading past the welcome screen. I tried to click 'last known good configuration' however it said something about me not backing it up before and there is no date it can go back to.

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
System restore says:
"No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. To create a restore point open system protection" however when i click it is then says "Your computer is running in a limited diagnostic state. If you use system restore in this limited state, you cannot undo the restore opperation" - and gives the option to click ok but nothing happens when ok is clicked.

I tried booting it again normally and it stayed on the welcome screen for about 20 minutes so i decided to shut it down and try safe mode but the same problem happens in safe mode with and without networking.

Edited by eWinchester66, 10 September 2013 - 01:37 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

I would like you to try this:
- Press F8 during boot and Click Repair your computer
- Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
- In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

When you boot into the Windows 7 Recovery Environment the drive letter for your Windows installation may not be the same. For example, if your Windows installation is normally on the C: drive, it may not be located at the D: drive. To determine what drive letter your Windows installation is located on, you can type this command press enter:
bcdedit | find "osdevice"
This command will display output similar to : os device partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive that your Windows installation is located.

type the command:
chkdsk /r /x D:
Note: replace D: with the drive returned by the command above.

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i typed in "bcdedit | find "osdevice"" and it said: "osdevice" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

however i typed in chkdsk /r /x C:
and it says verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...

Edited by eWinchester66, 10 September 2013 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

i typed in "bcdedit | find "osdevice"" and it said: "osdevice" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

however i typed in chkdsk /r /x C:
and it says verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...

only osdevice is between " "

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah i typed that in and it said: "osdevice" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

But i then typed in chkdsk /r /x C:
and it says verifying files and a lot of text came up and at the moment it is on stage 4 out of 5 which it has been on for a little while. Is this what is meant to happen?

Its been about 20 minutes now and its stuck on (105551 of 109808 files processed)

Edited by eWinchester66, 10 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Yeah i typed that in and it said: "osdevice" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

But i then typed in chkdsk /r /x C:
and it says verifying files and a lot of text came up and at the moment it is on stage 4 out of 5 which it has been on for a little while. Is this what is meant to happen?

Its been about 20 minutes now and its stuck on (105551 of 109808 files processed)

Because it's taken some time it seems you are checking the correct drive, so forget the osdevice part...
Let it run till the end then restart the computer and let me know if the problem continues.

eWinchester66

eWinchester66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried it again today and it has been stuck on stage 4 out of 5 on (105553 of 109808 files processed)for about four hours and a half now. How long should i leave it for?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I tried it again today and it has been stuck on stage 4 out of 5 on (105553 of 109808 files processed)for about four hours and a half now. How long should i leave it for?

Do you see the hard drive led blinking? If the machine have one...