Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build No Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply

PolishHill

PolishHill

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently embarked on a new PC build using Logical Increments to source the parts and NewEgg tutorial videos to build it. I got as far as breadboxing but haven't been able to get the computer to post. I went through the no boot checklist from Tom's Hardware and got down past step 23 where the suggestion is to pull everything but the CPU and HSF.

With a mobo speaker I get long beeps indicating no RAM. I then install a stick of RAM and get silence. Same silence occurs when I install the video card (no onboard video for this motherboard). I've tried all four slots with both of my 4GB and received the same results. I went as far as having a replacement motherboard shipped. I've also tried a much older video card (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102624) and met the same results. I also replaced the aftermarket fan with the stock CPU cooler just in case the thermal paste was the issue.

I've posted all my parts below in case that will assist with anything but I greatly appreciate any help or ideas that will get me to boot.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-B10-212P-G1)
http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00
http://www.amazon.co...2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CPU: AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
http://www.amazon.co...3?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003
Ultra Plus - Solid-State-Disk - 64 GB

Case: Nzxt Technologies USB 3.0 Tempest 410 Steel Mid Tower Airflow Case - T410-001 (Black)

GFX: HIS H787F2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.co...ition 2GB 256-b

PSU: SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.co...2V V2.3 / EPS 1

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday PolishHill, Posted Image
A great first post. Although you have done some extensive tests, please do the ones we ask even if they are repeats, and please answer every questions.

When you swapped the CPU over to the replacement MB, did you carefully clean off all the TIM?
Did you remove the protective film from the stock heat-sink base?
Did you check The Clear CMOS jumper was present and on the default pins?

Please carry out the following tasks. Always disconnect from the wall socket when working on the computer and take anti static measures, even when just handling parts.

Inspect the CPU heat-sink locking tabs on the back of the MB to ensure they are securely engaged, then,
With the MB on a piece of cardboard a little larger than the board, disconnect all cable from the PSU, nothing installed except,
CPU, Stock heat-sink and fan, (CPU fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the MB,) System speaker, (match the + & - symbols on the plug to those on the header pins)
Connect the 24v x 20/4 and 12v x 8 pin main power leads from the PSU.
For testing, Connect to the wall socket, Turn on the PSU. With a small screwdriver, briefly short out the power on pins.
The PSU and CPU fans should start and keep going.
What beep code please?

PolishHill

PolishHill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi iammykyl,

Thanks very much for the help, I'm happy to run through these suggestions.

When I replaced the motherboard I made sure to clean off all the thermal past from both the CPU and heatsink. I was actually concerned this might have been one of my problems so after getting no boot I went back and cleaned off the past again and simply put on the stock heatsink which has the thermal past preapplied. That is what is currently on the system.

There was protective film on the stock heatsink or on the motherboard where the CPU plugs in. I just cleared the CMOS (there are only the two pins to be shorted with a metal object).

I followed the rest of your instructions (and also saw no bent pins on the back of the MB) and got the long single beeps which I believe indicate no RAM. I inserted RAM just to check and they went away. However, both instances the CPU fan spins on startup but ceases spinning after a second or two. The power supply fan still runs though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thank you for the update.
You would have been very unlucky to have received a second DOA MB, but it is always possible.
As you have the MB on some cardboard, very unlikely to be a short.
With a stick of RAM installed there should have been a different beep code, but if the CPU shuts down so quickly, the POST may not have got further than RAM detect.

The quick stop is also a symptom of not enough power to the CPU, supplied through the 12v ATX supply, the 8 pin socket at the top of the board.
Until the PSU is deemed to be good, there is little more you can do.
Option one.
If you can get access to a known working PSU, and try the bare bones test again. Even a 350 watt ATX would be OK for that test + if the beep code changes with the RAM installed, > shut down, > connect a keyboard, > test. If the lights flash on the keyboard, you know the POST has progressed further, the beep code may or may not change.

Option two.
Have the PSU tested at a local PC repair shop. (ring them first, many will do it for free) It must be done with test gear that puts the PSU under load, something most consumers can not do.

Option three.
Do a RMA, painful if you have to pay postage.

Sorry the instructions are a bit pedantic, Don't know how experienced you are.

Going off line till the morning.

Good luck.

Edit.

(and also saw no bent pins on the back of the MB)

I was referring to the ends of the plastic pins that poke through the MB, holding the heat-sink/fan assemble in place. They should all be the same length and engaged/locked.

PolishHill

PolishHill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a friend who just purchased a new power supply that I'll give a shot hopefully in the next few days. I'll let you know the results as soon as I get them.

Apologies for not being more clear regarding the back of the motherboard. I actually did confirm the heat-sink fan assembly screws were all the same length and just wanted to add that I didn't see any bent pins as a bit of extraneous info since I've also seen that as a possible problem. Thanks.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Having another PSU for testing is great news.
Will look out for your next update.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday PolishHill.

How are things going? Did you try your friends PSU? An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PolishHill

PolishHill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried my friends brand new 600W PSU this past weekend and got the same results and no beeps. We tried each stick of RAM and the different slots without getting a boot.

Tonight I finally received a replacement CPU and mounted that as well as the stock heatsink. I put the RAM in dual channel, fired it up with the video card and got no beeps but no post. I'm at my wits end here and most of my parts run out of replacement eligibility. Realistically the only thing I haven't tried is a new stick of DDR3 ram but I plan to do that in the next few days. I'm extremely frustrated and just not really sure what options remain for this build but appreciate any help.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
What a pain in the proverbial.
If your friend has similar RAM, (1.5v) and will permit, try one stick, (yours only,) to see if it boots the computer, then try the other stick.
If it does boot the computer.
Most like scenario is your RAM is not 100% compatible, this could be due to the BOIS ver on the MB does not support the RAM.

There are 5 revisions of your board, should be lower left edge of the board. Please search and post.
If it does not Boot the computer, probable bad RAM,

Info. A MB will not post with bad//incompatible RAM or no RAM installed..

PolishHill

PolishHill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Was able to get a few test sticks of RAM from a friend and put one in and voila, the computer booted. I haven't tested any of the others but out of spite and extreme frustration I plan on going with a different brand than Crucial. Any suggestions for 8 gigs of DDR3 ram since it appears my long elusive issue has been found?

Thanks again for the help and the last ditch coaxing towards finding a solution, I can't wait to actually get to use the machine in the next week or so.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

That is good news. In hindsight, should have asked to try a different RAM or get yours tested elsewhere, will keep it in mind for the future.

I have always used and recommended G.Skill and never had a problem or come back. That's not to say theirs is better than other good quality RAM. I think that's called covering my [bleep]Posted Image
I also specify LP, never a problem with heatsink/coolers, I think they also do black and other colours if it is of importance. > http://www.newegg.co...231-548:$$$$$$$