Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop very slow to start up and to operate

• Please log in to reply

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Attached File  Application.zip   73.87KB   164 downloads

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
For some reason, chkdsk is not recording the log. Let's try it this way. Run this command in an administrator command prompt. It will ask for a reboot and check the disk on boot. Then run the script again and see if we get a log. Please pay attention to the bad sector line and tell me what it says in case we don't get the log.

chkdsk /x /r C:

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I tried your last instructions. I've never been able to run chkdsk, in windows. It always tells me that that drive is being used by another process. So I choose the option to run it at next restart. When I restarted the laptop chkdsk ran. It then started in to windows. I tried to run the script and I got the BSOD. Now, whenever I try to start windows, I get a BSOD. Below is a screen shot of chkdsk while it was still running. I was not able to capture an image right before it completed. Also below is a screenshot of the first BSOD I got. Thank you for your continued help.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
I'm pretty sure this is your HD going out...can you boot into windows at all?

Our first priority is to make sure you have your data backed up. Do you, or would you like a tutorial for backing it up?

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I was thinking it was going to be the hard drive too. I do not have to worry about backing up. I have everything I need. Will you help me through replacing the hard drive? The laptop came with windows preinstalled so I don't have a windows disk.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Sure thing. Can you give me the model number/manufacturer of the laptop?

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
It is an Acer Aspire 5515-5831

Edit=forgot the last 4 digits of the model number

Edited by rockitout, 20 September 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi,

Do you know what drive you are going to use for a replacement yet? Would you like to upgrade to a bigger drive?

If you get a WD or Seagate drive, then it comes with a free version of Acronis that we can use to clone your old drive and we could probably get an exact copy of your current computer if all goes well. Other drives might come with similar software.

Or we could do a clean install on the blank drive and you would have to start over reinstalling all of your programs.

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
The drive for replacement I was thinking about is this one: Western Digital Scorpio Black WD2500BEKT. It is a bigger drive. I would prefer to do a clean install on a blank drive as long as I don't need a Windows install disk.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Sorry for the delay. Will post later today.

There is nothing you want off of the old disc, right?

Advertisements

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
That is correct. Nothing I need off the old disk.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
If you get a WD drive, then it comes with the Acronis Software that we can use to image your old drive to your new one. This would make an exact copy and your computer would be the same as before (with obviously more extra free space). This would also require purchasing a (relatively cheap) USB hard drive adapter so you could connect both hard drives to your laptop at once (I don't think your laptop has more than one HD bay). Or if you have a desktop with enough connections for both drives that would work as well to copy the drives.

You did say that you would prefer a clean install, but this would require Windows discs (and also install disks/downloads and keys for any purchased software, like Microsoft Office). You have two options for that:
  • You can order recovery disks from Acer here. You have to put your serial number in to see the cost.
  • I can give you instructions for downloading and making a Vista ISO CD from the internet. It is from a legitimate source, but in my opinion is somewhat questionable as the download isn't exactly intended to be public for everyone. But the decision is up to you.

Let me know what you want to do.

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I will go with option number one -

If you get a WD drive, then it comes with the Acronis Software that we can use to image your old drive to your new one. This would make an exact copy and your computer would be the same as before (with obviously more extra free space). This would also require purchasing a (relatively cheap) USB hard drive adapter so you could connect both hard drives to your laptop at once (I don't think your laptop has more than one HD bay). Or if you have a desktop with enough connections for both drives that would work as well to copy the drives.

I already have a USB adapter to hook up a second drive to the computer. Should I order the drive now and post here when it comes in?

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Sure, let me know when it arrives. In the meantime, I'll familiarize myself with Acronis.

rockitout

rockitout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
OK. I ordered the drive. It should take 4-7 business days.