Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Audio

• Please log in to reply

stanulg1952

stanulg1952

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi everybody :

I've got a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard. I'm trying to find an answer to my audio question. My Motherboard is supposed to be able to produce 5.1 Channel sound. It only produces 2-channel stereo. I contacted Gigabyte about this and they stated that this is normal. Normal ? On the back panel there is LINE IN, LINE OUT and SPEAKER. When I go to Sound Manager, I select 5.1 Channel. I test it. The two front speakers sound off. I click on the subwoofer icon (in the diagram), and the 5.1 channel selection (in the drop down menu) greys out. As for drivers, the only driver is see the HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO. The REALTEK ALC887 (codec) is not listed. I tried installing it, but, for some reason, I couldn't get that driver installed. I checked DEVICE MANAGER/RealTek/Propeties. It just showed HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO as the driver. One thing I'm not clear on is, in the Motherboard Specs it states : "To configure 7.1 Channel audio, you have to use an HD front panel audio module and enable the multi-channel audio feature through the audio driver. " Does this refer to a piece of hardware that I would install ? My System : Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, 3 Gb RAM, WD 500 Gb Hard Drive, NVidia 210 Geforce(2Gb RAM), Intel Core i3 Processor (3.3Ghz), 500 Watt PSU.

stanulg1952

Edited by stanulg1952, 10 September 2013 - 08:16 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday stanulg1952.

Not 100% sure on this, but I think a successful solution will depend on the case audio wiring options, both Intel Realtek HD/AC97 or only one.
Have a look through this topic, let us know if it is a solution for you.
> http://blog.tabinda....anel-solutions/

stanulg1952

stanulg1952

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
iammykyl :

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That the B E S T news I've heard in.......uh........two days? (just kidding). I wish I would've found that before. Now, it seems, I've got a direction to go. Well, this IS a start. Now I can continue on my "journey to more knowledge " I bookmarked that page. As of this reply, it's 12: 53 AM EST. I've been up and running with this thing. Again....much thanks.
stanulg1952

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome stanulg1952, Posted Image
IF!! you manage to get the sound to all your speakers, we would really appreciate it if you posted your solutions. Most people seem to give up and just make do with 2 speakers or buy a module to install in a front bay of the case.

Good luck.

stanulg1952

stanulg1952

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
iammykyl :

I tried that link. That article did have numerous good points. But, unfortunately, my Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, (I just found out) doesn't support 5.1 channel sound. I going the dedicated card route. Maybe Creative Labs or Asus Xonar DG. I made a copy of that "linked" article and saved it in my files. It definitely was a step in the right direction. Thanks for your (and geekstogo) help.
P.S.---Could having NVidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible)WDM cause any problems.....driver/software conflicts with RealTek Audio ? I was thinking, maybe delete Nvidia Virtual Audio.

stanulg1952

Edited by stanulg1952, 11 September 2013 - 11:50 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Not very well read on sound cards.. Can't see there being compatibility issues as you would disable, not uninstall, the software you did not want to use as the below cards output to both front and rear ports.

Couple of links.
> DG http://www.bit-tech....onar-dg-review/
> Includes the DS. Maybe a better option for the out ports.http://www.bit-tech....-card-reviews/1

stanulg1952

stanulg1952

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
iammykyl :

Those were (or are) the cards I was considering. They look good enough for what I need.

thanks
stanulg1952

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Just a thought/question.
If you select a module with 3 outlet ports and you have 5 speakers, (not a home theatre or such) will you need a jack splitter?

stanulg1952

stanulg1952

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
iammykyl :

Thanks for your reply and advice.

stanulg1952