Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copy/paste a link not working in Firefox ONLY?

• Please log in to reply

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
When sending an email in Yahoo using Firefox browser the copy & paste of a website link is not active/does not work/not blue highlighted, but I have no problem when using IE or Chrome, but prefer Firefox. I cleared Firefox cache & cookies, which didn't help and also downloaded Firefox 23, which also was suppose to fix the problem.

Windows XP Prof/Compaq desktop

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Do you have the same problem in Firefox Safe Mode?

https://support.mozi...using-safe-mode

Are you using anything other than the default theme?

Ron

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thx for your response.....I'm kind of a rookie. When you say: "Firefox Safe Mode" do you mean try it in safe mode when booting up? Otherwise if there is an actual Firefox safe mode, I have not idea how to get there.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Look at the link in my earlier post. It tells you how to get into Firefox Safe Mode.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry I missed the link prior & I see they are completely different safe modes......have to run for a few hours & will try when I get back.....3-4 hours from now.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Followed all the suggested Firefox fixes (safe mode, reset & disable all plugins) none of which helped.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Are you using the default Firefox theme? Or did you change the colors or background?

Can you explain exactly what you are doing and take a screen shot of what you get and attach it?

When I look at it with Process Monitor it looks at:

HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes

So let's look and see what yours says:

Copy the next line:

reg export HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes %userprofile%\desktop\junk.txt

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. You should get a file junk.txt on your desktop. Attach it.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
When I did a reset I assumed that it set everything to default and I have not changed anything. When I enter the text at the cmd I get an error Too many comman-line parameters and I can't seem to load the only way I know of sending you a screen print....that is to scan to a pdf file and it doesn't want to load......please remember I'm a computer rookie. Thx
Upload worked this time.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Bring up Firefox again attempt your right click. (What are you right clicking on? Is there a menu or does it just ignore you.)

Press the Alt + the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It may be labeled [PrtScn].

Open Microsoft Paint (All Programs, Accessories,Paint).

Go to the Edit menu and choose Paste (or just do Ctrl + v) and the image should appear.

Go to the File Menu and choose Save As.

Navigate to the folder where you want to save the image. (Desktop)

Type a file name for the image: FF

Select a file type. jpeg

Click the Save button.

Attach FF.jpg to your Reply.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Don't understand this instruction: Bring up Firefox again attempt your right click. (What are you right clicking on? Is there a menu or does it just ignore you.)

Here is screen print of attempt to email an active link.....

Attached Thumbnails

• FF.JPG

Advertisements

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Did you want a better picture of this cmd input also?

Attached Thumbnails

• CMD.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I think I finally figured out what you are trying to do. When in Yahoo, compose, look on the format toolbar for two interlocking rings. Click on that and paste your link into that box then OK. That gives you the blue underlined link. For what it is worth the link got automatically underlined when I read it in gmail whether I used the rings or not.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
For what it's worth, that works fine, but do I have to do that each time I want to send someone an active link? Seems like in the past I just pasted it and it was active/blue.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I'm going to have dinner now & watch Big Brother........Thanks for all your excellent help, sorry I was not more descriptive with my problem. Don't you love this weather, must be nice up there on Orcas?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I did not test sending the link to my Yahoo account but in gmail the links were active in the received mail with or without the double rings so you may not need to worry about it.