Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash BIOS

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
When trying to flash an updated BIOS i receive the error "Image integrity check failed".I have tried several other newer BIOS's same result,except for one i have on PC already.If anyone has any advice what could be causing this.Flashing it using a USB drive through the BIOS UTILITY ASUS EZ.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hello jds63

Can I ask why you are trying to flash the BIOS and whether or not that you are aware that you should only ever update the BIOS and drivers if it is to address a known issue, this is because flashing the BIOS can go wrong and hose your MB thus making it unusable and driver updates that are not specifically required can actually create the very issue on your computer that they are intended to resolve, some information on this Here

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thank you for replying.Yes in research now i am aware of risks involved.There is a few reasons i thought i needed to Flash/update the BIOS, i saw a newer BIOS for my system.Two i recently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro and my system is UEFI.Windows upgrade assistance told me - Your PC Firmware doesn't support secure boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8: Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database.I am stumped on how to do this,so i thought updating the BIOS would give me this UEFI Firmware update.I could not in all the research on internet figure out how to update the UEFI firmware to UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B firmware.I would like to use this feature since my BIOS is UEFI.If you can shed some light on this for me would be very much appreciated.I do not intend on updating my BIOS for any other reasons unless like you said it was beneficial to my system.I also saw most other people with ASUS motherboards had the same issue with newer BIOS updates saying "image integrity check failed" ASUS will not advise you on updating your BIOS's when you contact them,so there is no help asking them.TY

Edited by jds63, 15 September 2013 - 02:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Not sure what MB you have but This may be of help if you have not seen it already.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Motherboard is a ASUS P8H61-M-Pro.I saw this sight,do not have that a USB BIOS flashback button.My BIOS is ROM BIOS,not a CAP..Can not find a BIOS converter,most newer BIOS's either give me that error or are A CAP BIOS'swhich can't seem to use,guess unless converted.Renamer did not work at all with same error,image integrity check failed.Seems weird but motherboard has different Bios's then the computer,which the computer has only new CAP BIOS'S, the motherboard has only new ROM BIOS''s.Only reason i would do this is for if it could help the UEFI Firmware update to make it possible to work in Windows 8 secure boot and in UEFI,flashing the BIOS. TY so far.Computer is a ASUS Essentio CM6730 intel i5 2320 3.0ghz.If this works i read about UEFI,having to make GPT Partitions.Able to go from legacy to UEFI modes.If this can't work,i live with it,this way.I always try get best out of what i have,if it can get it.

Edited by jds63, 15 September 2013 - 06:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Strange as your computer is available with Windows 8 preinstalled + ASUS recommends Windows 8 :confused:

Is your Windows 8 Pro installation the x64 version.

Have you read This

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Yes my version of Windows 8 Pro is 64bit.As said in previous post to use secure boot i need firmware 2.3.1 errata b,it was said in the Windows 8 upgrade assistant as the only thing that was not compatible for me to use in 8.My system is UEFI is why i wanted to use this feature since it has it.Yes i have looked at eightforums way to install in UEFI,unfortunately this issue with a firmware will stop me and ASUS's POOR support and not advising you to update a BIOS thru the risks involved as you say, i am at a stand still not be able to do a UEFI install. Through all my research online the only way i can see would be to update the BIOS for firmware to be correct.If you know another way let me know,i am stumped and about to give up and live without this extra feature that i should be able to use.I do see something on eightforum link you sent saying check chipset manufacturer about firmware,i'll look into it.

Edited by jds63, 17 September 2013 - 02:21 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Not sure but i found this doing research.My Bios is a American Megatrends.American Megatrends Not sure about this,but it is closest i come to documentation to secure boot for win 8 plus update for firmware to 2.3.1 for which win 8 requires for UEFI.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Apologies for the delay getting back to you jds63.

It may be worth submitting an enquiry to AMI to see what they suggest AMI Support

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
No Problem,ty, i'll try this not much to loose since i can not find anything else on internet plus forum postings.

Edited by jds63, 19 September 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. i had no luck when trying to submit a support topic to American Megatrends.They do not support other motherboard manufacturers except there own.This is what i got after submitting it My link
Oh well,back to researching this more again,seems there is no end to finding out how.Why does Microsoft and ASUS make it so dam hard.They can't even tell me how, or even lead me in right direction,they won't or can't advise me to.They probably know,just won't let me know.I know it's at my own risk.Since as you say,ASUS supports upgrading to Win 8 too. :confused:

Edited by jds63, 19 September 2013 - 01:57 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Sorry that I couldn`t help you resolve the issue :(

It may not be a bad thing though if you read the article Here

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Yep,Thanks anyway most were stumped on this UEFI firmware update.Many posts here and in other forums drew blanks.I read article i thought there is more to using this feature then secure boot.Partitioning of drives to GPT,plus boot not being MBR helped in ways even though i did not like the partitioning of GPT in 4 partitions.Well i give up on this topic here and in other forums stick with way it is.I am running HDD in ACHI mode.Thanks again for trying to help.:thumbsup:

p.s. see ASUS did not comment when there motherboards were compromised in boot attack :rolleyes: Just like can't comment or advise when asked for help either :angry:
This is good,since they can never help the consumer, just line there pockets!! “Microsoft is working with partners to help ensure that secure boot delivers a great security experience for our customers,” Microsoft said Thursday in an emailed statement.

Edited by jds63, 19 September 2013 - 07:34 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
It may be worth you checking out the BIOS Mods forums which can be found Here

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thanks i'll take a look at this.What about this software is it safe? here
Forget about this software,$29.95 most say it's badddd!! O.K. someone i posted this topic in Bleeping Computers forum replied to me telling me to PM a member in EightForums named Brink ask him,he is very knowledgeable i will try.Not making much else out of link you sent me,but TY for trying :thumbsup:

Edited by jds63, 22 September 2013 - 07:22 PM.