Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

confused about disk sizes

• Please log in to reply

jillhc

jillhc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I ordered my new pc with 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD and Windows 8 installed. When I accessed Disk Management - at the top it lists:

Volume (blank) Layout: Simple Type: Basic Status:Healthy (Recovery Partition) Capacity:300MB Free space:300MB 100%
Volume (blank) Layout: Simple Type: Basic Status:Healthy (EFI System Partition) Capacity:100MB Free space:100MB 100%
Volume (C:) Layout: Simple Type: Basic File System: NTFS Status:Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) Capacity:237.96 GB Free space:201.37 GB 85%

Under that is listed Disk 0, Disk 1 and CD-ROM :
Disk 0 1863.02 GB Unallocated
Disk 1 238.35 GB | 300MB | 100MB | (C:) 237.96 GB NTFS

I am just so confused with these figures. I thought the software was going to be located on the SSD but there is not a separate drive letter for it. On my old pc I had my hdd partitioned so data was kept separately from software. I wanted to do the same thing here but I was expecting to see 2 drive letters and I thought I'd need to create a 3rd.

Can you set me in the right direction?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Disk 1 is the SSD and it has 3 partitions:

Volume (blank) Layout: Simple Type: Basic Status:Healthy (Recovery Partition) Capacity:300MB Free space:300MB 100%
Volume (blank) Layout: Simple Type: Basic Status:Healthy (EFI System Partition) Capacity:100MB Free space:100MB 100%
Volume (C:) Layout: Simple Type: Basic File System: NTFS Status:Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) Capacity:237.96 GB Free space:201.37 GB 85%

Disk 0 is the 1 TB and it hasn't been allocated yet.

Right Click on it and select "New Simple Volume" then follow the instructions.

jillhc

jillhc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks RKinner. What a relief! :P