Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with a weird problem

• Please log in to reply

ryu345

ryu345

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I bought a new computer around 6 months ago and recently it's been giving me a little trouble. It first started a month ago when I heard a usb disconnect sound randomly, although it didn't seem to be affecting anything beyond making a sound.

However, a week later my computer... ah sorry it's an alienware aurora r4. Anyway, the fans started to suddenly rev up and down and it slowed down to a crawl. I panicked a bit a hit the power button, then started safe mode. I thought it was a virus at first since Avira picked up a type of trojan in the temp files though it was zipped (not sure if something like that can infect or not?)

It hasn't done that again but now there is a new problem. After a bit there is a heavy stutter for around 5-10 seconds. I noticed this most when I'm playing games but it happens even just browsing. It's mostly the screen as the sound doesn't seem to be effected but my keyboard doesn't work during this time. Odd thing happened one of those times is that it seemed to mix up some keys on my keyboard (the esc and windows key switched) and outright render others useless. The mouse still works though, oddly enough. I am running Windows 7 home premium.
Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: ryu345

As you have mentioned a possible Trojan infection before we can continue here it is vital that your computer is given the all clear of malware by the staff over on the malware forums, please see the GTG canned text below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

ryu345

ryu345

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, thanks for replying.

The trojan wasn't huge concern it's long gone. What was is that it may have damaged files before I got rid of it, then again it may have been a false positive.

Either way the problem has been solved oddly enough by a clean install of an nvidia driver, no more problems or issues.

Again, thank you for your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up ryu345 :thumbsup: