Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Portable Desktop Computer (Safe for daily transport)

• Please log in to reply

DoctorTeapot

DoctorTeapot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have done a few searches through this forum, and a good amount of searching on Google, but I havn't found the information I am looking for.

Objective:

I want to MOD the case and components I have now, that I built around 2 years ago. My goal is to have a Desktop computer with a significant decrease in vibration, to lower the noise of the PC, and to also make the PC safe for daily transport to and from work in a vehicle.

Mod Plan:

I plan to most likely hang the hard drives and put small foam spacers between the walls and the hard drive to keep it from bouncing around. To put a layer of anti-static plastic underneath the mother board, and a thin layer of foam beneath that, and cut out slots in the foam for velcro strapping to secure the hard drive, to eliminate the need for screws to reduce vibration. Possibly small wire insulated in foam to secure the video card to the case. And use a similar technique for fans and other components eventually. My first concern is transport.

Question & Concern:

My main concerns were with the video card, and the cooler on top of the processor, because of no easy way to support these devices to take some of the weight load off of the motherboard, and cut down vibration. But sense I am mounting the mother board with foam, and securing the graphics card with foam wire, do you think this will be enough to cut down vibration for daily transport in a vehicle? And will my hard drives be ok? I am wide open for opinions.

I'm pretty sure everything will be fine, but I am curious if anyone else has tried something similar, and how it worked out. Basically look for advice from someone with experience on the matter. Thanks!

Specs:
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 series
GPU: GTX670
Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
CPU: i7-2700K
Cooler: V6 GT cooler master
2 x Disk Hardives
1 x Solid State Drive

Edited by DoctorTeapot, 16 September 2013 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements