Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Error HP xw6400 Workstation

• Please log in to reply

dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My husband has a HP xw6400 Workstation running Windows 7 Home Premium. Last night, the when powering up the PC, it posted this error message:

HP Ethernet boot agent v 8.3.9

928 Non-fatal uncorrectable FBD error on DIMM in mother slot XMM2

M13 Err non-retry on redundant retry FDD memory alert on redundant set timeout

M21 Err motherboard CRC error on FBD sync status (slightly #48)

If you hit f1, the machine will continue to boot into Windows 7 & appears to work fine. The machine has 8GB RAM, a 250GB hard drive for the C drive, a 2TB hard drive I installed for storage, a PCI soundcard I install from my husband's old PC. This error message appeared AFTER I installed the sound card & 2nd hard drive.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong & how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: dreamspinner3

Can you post aSpeccy url for us please.

dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What is Speccy? Also, today, the same machine refused to reboot out of sleep mode & instead beeped three times over & over until we unplugged it & then plugged it back in. It then rebooted normally.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

What is Speccy? Also, today, the same machine refused to reboot out of sleep mode & instead beeped three times over & over until we unplugged it & then plugged it back in. It then rebooted normally.

Speccy is a system information tool that will tell us what hardware your computer has**

Three beeps is commonly a memory problem (including video memory) it can also be a keyboard error but as you have already told us that you had the following error message "928 Non-fatal uncorrectable FBD error on DIMM in mother slot XMM2" it is most likely a problem with a memory stick, this type of problem can often remedy itself or involve nothing more than reseating the memory stick/s or restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS.

**Speccy can also help to identify if the problem is a bad memory stick or DIMM slot, if you had two memory sticks inserted in the slots but Speccy only detected the one in the other slot then you know that there is a problem with the other stick or DIMM slot.

dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The Speccy profile for my husband's PC is here: http://speccy.pirifo...4Rjj6r5FGf4BEP1

Yesterday, I took all of the RAM out of his machine & reseated it. One of the memory chips wasn't secured on one side & so I thought that was the problem.

However, today when my husband tried to bring his PC out of sleep mode, instead of restarting Windows 7, a red LED light on the front of the PC began blinking & this time, the machine emitted 4 beeps, paused, 4 beeps, paused, etc. My husband shut the machine off, restarted it, & it booted into Windows 7 just fine.

When we bought machine, it DID NOT have the 2TB hard drive or the Turtle Beach Rivera sound card installed. I added those; the hard drive was new & I pulled the sound card from my husband's old PC.

The computer's prior owner said it had always worked fine for him & thought that a loose RAM chip and/or the sound card were causing the problems. He suggested I reseat the RAM, which I did. The next thing I was thinking of trying is to remove the sound card.

I have also gone into the power management in Windows 7 & changed the setting so that the computer can't go into sleep mode since that is when we have the problem, upon trying to wake it out of sleep mode.

The original error message has not appear since I reseated the RAM chips, nor has the the flashing LED light & the three beeps occurred.

Please let me know if you need more information.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Apologies for the delay getting back to you dreamspinner3.

Reseating the Ram may have caused a system timer failure that has now corrected itself.

See if you have theHP diagnostic tools option.

If the issue happens again try restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS, this option is also sometimes listed as "most stable settings".

dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the HP Diagnostic Tools & try the MBs default settings in the BIOS if something happens again. We disabled the sleep/hibernation mode & we've had no problems with the machine since then. It starts up like a champ & works fine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup: