Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

running slowly

• Please log in to reply

ThetechmanDan

ThetechmanDan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am running Vista in a laptop. 2.0gh single core, 4gb ram.

a few days ago I was trying to download a video player (vlc media player). I clicked "download" on a few pages that I was linked to before I got to the final "download" button that actually worked. I got it now, I installed it and it works.

I dint know if that matters at all but I thought I would share that just in case.

right before that I uninstalled a program or 2 that I never use... I don't remember which ones they err though.

anyways,

a little after installing vlc media, the cpu jumped to 100% and would not stop. long story short, I found a host/service file was the reason so I found it and closed that program along with its dependant running programs.

that worked great. now the computer only uses the cpu like it normally would however, it's slow. it can't display hd videos without sputtering and simple Facebook games don't respond even half as fast as they did before.

I'm not too sure what to do from here other then did a recovery... any I ideas?

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Read this...
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

ThetechmanDan

ThetechmanDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Kewl. Thanx man.

I didn't know if it was gunna be like every other malware problem but, it seems like it just might be. I posted a new topic that is listed below. Thanks again.

http://www.geekstogo...unning-cpu-100/

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
:thumbsup: