Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade mirrored Solid State Drives

• Please log in to reply

bradyg23

bradyg23

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a system with mirrored 60GB Solid State Drives as the C drive and I am quickly running out of space. I am purchasing 2 new 256GB hard drives. Here is what I would like to do. Please point out any flaws in my logic:

Clone one of the 60GB to the 256GB, and then expand the partition so that I have 190ish GB free.
Add the recently cloned and a blank 256GB drive back to the system and recreate the mirror.

Any flaws? Many thanks!

Advertisements

bradyg23

bradyg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Sorry to bump, but it has been about 2 weeks, so I wanted to see if anyone had a thought on this. Plan to do the work tomorrow morning.

bradyg23

bradyg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
No reply, so I learned with trial by fire: What I was trying to do is not possible, or as far as I can tell isn't.

I successfully cloned one hard drive to the other, but in the first step of creating a mirror all your data is blown away. If I clone the original drive after creating the mirror then I lose the mirror.

Ultimately I think we are going to set up a weekly image of one 256GB SSD drive to the other. That way we have an image always accessible if the original fails. I was hoping to use software RAID, but it isn't available in Home Premium.

I just wanted to share this in case someone else comes across the post in the future. I hope it saves you some headaches!