Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow; blue screens/dumps; TCP/IP security limits reached... [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

shelovestomuse

shelovestomuse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 07:40 on 03/10/2013 by Charlotte Watson
Administrator - Elevation successful

========== folderfind ==========

Wow you are busy.

You have no idea. :wacko:

Searching for "*AVG*"
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Grisoft\AVG Antispyware 7.5 d------ [01:29 25/01/2008]
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 d------ [01:18 25/01/2008]
C:\Documents and Settings\Charlotte Watson\Local Settings\Application Data\Avg2013 d------ [00:05 26/09/2012]
C:\Documents and Settings\Charlotte Watson\Local Settings\Application Data\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller Pro\BackUpsData\AVG 2012-28092012-085219 d------ [13:52 28/09/2012]
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Avg2013 d------ [00:21 26/09/2012]
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\AVG d------ [16:08 30/04/2011]

-= EOF =-

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
I don't think these are active but we will remove them anyway.

Please run OTL.exe

• Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, copy and paste the content of the quote box below:

:Files
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Grisoft\AVG Antispyware 7.5 d
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 d
    C:\Documents and Settings\Charlotte Watson\Local Settings\Application Data\Avg2013 d
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Avg2013 d
    C:\Documents and Settings\Charlotte Watson\Local Settings\Application Data\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller Pro\BackUpsData\AVG 2012-28092012-085219 d
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\AVG d

:Commands
    [emptytemp]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot when it is done
  • It will produce a log for you on reboot, please post that log in your next reply.The log is saved in the same location as OTL.
After that

Go to the Control Panel > Security > Security Center > Malware Protection and click under Virus protection or Spyware and other malware protection and choose I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself or I have an antisypware program that I'll monitor myself .

Come back and tell me how it is now.

shelovestomuse

shelovestomuse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
All processes killed
========== FILES ==========
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Grisoft\AVG Antispyware 7.5 d not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 d not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Charlotte Watson\Local Settings\Application Data\Avg2013 d not found.
File\Folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Avg2013 d not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Charlotte Watson\Local Settings\Application Data\VS Revo Group\Revo Uninstaller Pro\BackUpsData\AVG 2012-28092012-085219 d not found.
File\Folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\AVG d not found.
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: Administrator
->Temp folder emptied: 23800 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 19581935 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 492 bytes

User: All Users

User: Charlotte Watson
->Temp folder emptied: 57230 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->Google Chrome cache emptied: 167548592 bytes
->Apple Safari cache emptied: 0 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 0 bytes

User: Default User
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: LocalService
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: NetworkService
->Temp folder emptied: 33274 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 43095 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 24116578 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 202.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 10032013_165526

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...

PendingFileRenameOperations files...

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

When I rebooted, this error message appeared:

error.jpg

Go to the Control Panel > Security > Security Center > Malware Protection and click under Virus protection or Spyware and other malware protection and choose I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself or I have an antisypware program that I'll monitor myself .

Control Panel takes me directly to the Security Center icon, which takes me straight to this:

sc.jpg

I looked around for a while to see if I could find these options, but didn't have any luck.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Okay, different from the instruction I gave you. In the Security Center go to the Virus Protection On button and press the drop down beside ON. Tell me, do you get an option to check an item says you are taking care of your own virus protection or some such?

For the error message:

I believe it is one that can appear when there is corruption in a program caused with an uninstall (probably to do with our efforts to remove AVG). If it persists, that is, if it is not fixed after your next reboot please run Farbars Recovery Scan and post the FRST.txt back here. If you nolonger have FRST on your machine then follow the instructions below:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. The 32-bit one will be the right version for your machine.

• Right click to run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please also paste that into your reply.

shelovestomuse

shelovestomuse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Ok, the error message didn't appear again after rebooting. Do you still want me to run the Farbar tool?

My son and I took a little day trip this morning. We've had so much rain that everything's incredibly green. Almost hurts to look at it. I hope your stay with the kids is going well.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Do you still want me to run the Farbar tool?

No, I was hoping that a reboot would reset things and fix the problem. If need be we can come back to it but hopefully we won't have to.

My son and I took a little day trip this morning. We've had so much rain that everything's incredibly green. Almost hurts to look at it. I hope your stay with the kids is going well.

The green bit sounds like NZ. Very green where we live.

Yep, great to catch up with the grandchildren. Learning all about Wii and the games that need Grandpa's participation.

How is the war between Windows Security Center and MSE, is it still going on?

shelovestomuse

shelovestomuse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Yes, the fight is still going full blast. I also did a search for AVG in safe mode, found several and deleted them. But there were some others that I wasn't sure were associated with the antivirus software or not. A few were under Grisoft.

I use Irfanview for photo editing. Lately, it's been running very choppily, (eg) hanging when I try to open files (Program Not Responding). I uninstalled it and reinstalled it a little while ago to see if that would help. Haven't used it enough to tell yet.

It is possible that all of this is just the sign of an older computer? I must say, it's served me quite well since I bought it in '07. Even carted it to campus and took all my notes on it when I returned to school a few years back.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I also did a search for AVG in safe mode, found several and deleted them. But there were some others that I wasn't sure were associated with the antivirus software or not. A few were under Grisoft.

I wouldn't worry too much about that anymore. The ones you are likely finding are most likely in the equivalent of quarantine in the tools we have been using. They can't do anything there and as I meantioned earlier will be permanently dealt with anyway at cleanup.

Yes, the fight is still going full blast.

Did you check this out... see post #79?

"In the Security Center go to the Virus Protection On button and press the drop down beside ON. Tell me, do you get an option to check an item says you are taking care of your own virus protection or some such?"

shelovestomuse

shelovestomuse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
:headhurt: Forgot to mention that. Yes, I did look. There's nothing there that might answer to that description. Clicking on the drop-down beside ON yields this:

sc2.jpg

And clicking on "Change the way Security Center alerts me" yielded this:

sc3.jpg

I may try to sleuth around the Internet later on to see what I can find about SC vs MSE. You'd think Microsoft would make them more compatible.

Oh, and two AVG 2012 ghosts are still in my Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel.

Edited by shelovestomuse, 04 October 2013 - 08:46 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi shelovestomuse,

I think we have been running around in circles at bit. As I mentioned earlier a lot of those recently found AVG ones have been caught by the tools we have been using.

I think you should carry out the instructions for cleanup at post #48.

After that we can check things out again. I will mean downloading tools again if we need to the but that will be a good thing as we will have the latest versions.

SOoo please do that and when you come back tell me what is happening now between MSE and the Security Center. The reason I ask is because both those screen prints you posted of the Security Center on your machine showed the Virus Protection as on. :)

Advertisements

shelovestomuse

shelovestomuse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

The reason I ask is because both those screen prints you posted of the Security Center on your machine showed the Virus Protection as on.

Yes. But, remember:

Also, the MSE icon in the service tray is showing red with the white x again when I boot. As soon as I open it, the interface shows green, and the red icon goes green.

I've done everything, I think. Yesterday morning, the MSE icon in the service tray still showed red until I clicked on it, when it went green. This morning, I booted, then rebooted twice for good measure, and it came up green and stayed green. Hopefully, this won't revert again.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

This morning, I booted, then rebooted twice for good measure, and it came up green and stayed green. Hopefully, this won't revert again.

Tell me how it goes. Fingers crossed. :whistling:

shelovestomuse

shelovestomuse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
shockwavecrash.jpg

If I owned a 12-gauge, I probably would have blasted this darn computer. That Shockwave Flash plugin crashed, and set off a whole chain reaction of crashing pages that took me ForEver to close. Chrome has been giving me those annoying sickie icon popups asking if I want to kill the page or wait. And trying to get into My Documents to retrieve an Excel file of irregular Spanish verb conjugation patterns reminded me of the '90's when I'd go do something else while waiting for an image to load over a dial-up connection.

:upset:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again shelovestomuse,

I have researched this and it seems to be related to corrupt or multiple Flash plugins in your Chrome browser.

Let's see if resetting your chrome browser helps.

Go to the link below for instructions on how to reset Google Chrome browser settings:

https://support.goog...r/3296214?hl=en

shelovestomuse

shelovestomuse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Howdy!

Ok, I did the browser reset this morning (it's 9:36 pm here right now). Then it took me a while to get it all set up again. Initially, it was running a little sticky, but that's because (1) MSE was showing yellow and wanted me to do a scan, so I did and (2) automatic updates installed and kept nagging me to reboot.

Since then, nothing's crashed, and browsing seems to be running much smoother.

I wanted to wait a while and make sure. Hopefully it won't get all ornery on me again as soon as we declare it (sotto voce) fixed. ;)