Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building first computer-help

• Please log in to reply

veteranmate

veteranmate

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes, I'm building my first computer. Spending almost 2K. So I want to make sure I am buying something worth my time. I decided to go with AMD over an i7. I had my heart set on an i7, but as my wallet caught on fire, I was able to get 2 graphic cards instead of 1-i7. Well here are my computer configurations, let me know what you think.

*BASE_PRICE:[+1100]

CAS:Thermaltake Level 10GT Full Tower Wide Body Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window [+137] (White Color [+19])

CD:LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)

COOLANT:Standard Coolant

CPU:AMD FX-9370 4.40 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

CS_FAN:Default case fans:

FAN:CoolIT ECO II-240 Extreme Performance Liquid Cooling System 240MM Radiator & Dual Fans

FREEBIE_VC1:AMD NEVER SETTLE FOREVER SILVER: 2 Free Games with 7850 or 7870 [+0]

FREEBIE_VC2:Free Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Games Coupon [+0]

HDD:2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

IUSB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD1:AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard [+5]

MEMORY:16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD:[3-Way CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AMD 990FX Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/

UEFI Bios, ROG Connect, 7.1 SupremeFX III Audio, Intel GbLAN, 4 Gen2 PCIe X16 & 2 PCIe X1 [+134]

MOUSE1:AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge [+4]

NETWORK:Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

POWERSUPPLY:800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+17]

RUSH:NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE:STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOFT1:Microsoft® Office® 2013 Home and Student (Word, Excel, PowerPoint + OneNote) [+119]

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO:AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

VIDEO2:AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+228] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

_PRICE:(+1763)

I opted out the monitor due to adding an additional $75, from the $75 already set, making it $150...no thank you.

So please overview my specs and let me know what's wrong/good about this PC I'm about to build. What I could do differently, if necessary.

My main objective is to upgrade a computer I had for 4 years, which cost $400 back then. So...yeah. I play a lot of games, but not recently due to a slow computer. Hopefully even Facebook games are run a little more slowly? If anyone plays Facebook with a supercharged PC and can tell a difference, or not, please let me know. Thank you in advance for anyone & everyones help

CS-157-518_80.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
:welcome: veteranmate

Not a bad spec but also quite expensive :yes:

If you tell us what the computers main use will be and in which country you will be purchasing we can look at some other options for you that will provide what you need but also hopefully save you some cash.

NB: You do not need and will not use any more than 8GB of Ram or any more than a quad core CPU for gaming, those sort of specs are required for games programmers, professional 3D modeling and video rendering etc.

I would also never buy a computer that did not provide the brand name of the PSU as you don`t know what you are getting.