Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

exetender fatal error. laptop freezes in normal mode

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

media test failure, check cable.

That means it is trying to boot from the network and not the CD (or the CD is not bootable). Make sure the PC has the CD/DVD above the hard drive in the boot order (the network boot which is what PXE is trying to do should be the last option in the Boot Order. Usually you can change this in the BIOS/CMOS setup but some PC's have a separate F key to adjust the boot order. When you made the CD, did you use the BurnToCD.cmd or did you just copy it to the CD? Copying will not work.

Advertisements

astuxzz

astuxzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i double-clicked on the burntocd.cmd icon. i changed the boot order and it now stands as follows:cd/dvd then HDD1 and LAN as last. when i try to boot now it just comes up with a black screen for a minute and continues onto the screen where i can choose one of the two: to start a recovery console or start windows xp professional normally, i can also press F8 for booting in safe mode.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Normally when you see the black screen it will say something like: hit any key to boot to CD

so hit the space bar when you see the black screen.

astuxzz

astuxzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have tried pressing the space bar and the enter button, i have tried pressing it once or pressing it several times (if i press any key several times it then starts high pitch beeping noise every time i press something) - the result is still the same - it just continues onto the other page without any message or warning. the black screen only has a white blinking dash at the top of the page as for example in command prompt window where it marks to type the command in.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Boot into Windows and look at the CD with it. Do you see any files on it?

astuxzz

astuxzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
when i try to press to see if there is any files on cd it comes up with an error message "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". i have not used my cd drive for a while so i dont know when it was last working. when i put the cd in i can hear the noises as if its trying to start or spin or something and the light is on, but nothing happens.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If the CD/DVD is bad then that explains why we can't boot from it. I don't expect your PC is new enough to have an option to boot from a USB drive is it? You can boot Hiren's from a USB drive. http://www.hiren.inf...tcd-on-usb-disk

astuxzz

astuxzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
no i don't seem to find that option in setup menu. my laptop is about 6 years old. doesn't sound good :(

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Definitely not good. Can you remove the CD? Then try to boot into Windows. Then shut it down and reinstall the CD? That may get the CD to start working again.

astuxzz

astuxzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
no unfortunately it didnt seem to do the trick. my boss actually let me use his laptop for writing the hirens onto the disc, so if its unusable i dont have an option to make another one as i dont wanna ask him again:(

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Not much we can do if the hard drive and the CD are both bad. Probably not worth taking it to a shop. You need to find a knowledgeable friend who can remove the drive and put it on a USB adapter. Then run chkdsk /r on it and see if that will make it work.

astuxzz

astuxzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok thank you very much for your help. i have a friend back home who deals with computers.i will just need to wait a month until i go home for my holiday:)really thank you for your time.