Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unicows.dll error

• Please log in to reply

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I have 3 year old Dell 700, running windows 98se, with Netscape 7.1
When I try to load Adobe I get Unicows.dll error
I have Norton Systemsworks, but it won't fix it.
Thanks in advance.
Paul

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
hi dakotapicker and welcome to Geeks to Go

See if this helps, see http://www.bang.ro/dll/unicows.dll.htm.

post back and let us know :tazz:

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi
After the download manager gets it, I can't figure out to use to open it to install, can you help
Thanks a lot
Paul

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Paul
I'm including your PMs here so readers can see your problem. I don't mind PMs or e-mail from users here but info relevant to the topic should be posted instead. I follow all my open posts look thru the list at least twice a day to see if anyone has responded. Usually alot more than twice. Depends on what I'm doing and how much I'm working at my real job. But I do reply as promply as I can.

Yesterday, 11:17 PM
I got it downloaded , I think. From the download mamager I need to open it and nothin I seems to open it, I tried about 20 different ones.

Yesterday, 11:40 PM
That address to sent to me has vanished, i was going to try to download it again and it is gone. I sent a PM to you explaing my problem in opning the download. I know this must sound crazy.
I can lead a High school band , but I am not a computer wiz yet.

the file you are downloading is a self installing executable. You Should be able to double click it and run it just like any other program. Since it looks like you can't, my guess is you need the Windows Installer. Download and install this first, and then try to run unicows.exe, see http://www.bang.ro/dll/unicows.dll.htm. The instructions at www.bang are fairly clear but if you have problems understanding them ask here. And if the Windows Installer doesn't fix the I can't open it problem post back and we'll try to figure that out. :tazz:

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks for the info, sorry I didn't send the question to the right place. I am new here.
I went to Window installer and I have to make a choice from 3 different downloads.
inst.MsiA.exe 1670
Redist.txt 1
Licence.txt 13
Which one do I load?

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
All you really need to download is instMsiA.exe. This is the exectuable set up file, that's why its file extension is "exe". The other two are text files you can read in notepad or any other word processor, that's what the "txt" means. I usually download them also and read them, probably a good idea since one, License.txt, contains the license you are agreeing to to use the software. Standard microsoft stuff, but it is a legal agreement so I read it to at least see what I'm agreeing to.

No problem about being new here, I am too. :tazz:

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hello
I did as you said, when I downloaded the unicow.dll I got the same BOX "open with" which is where I was the first time.
I tryed Word and could read the what was on the screen.
I think I am real close.
I did reboots and ttried to open Adobe, which is the only program that doesn't work, and got the "adobe manager, unbale to load required
Unicows.dll"
There are days I wish I had never seen a computer.
Thanks so much for walking me through this mess.
Paul

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

I did as you said, when I downloaded the unicow.dll I got the same BOX "open with" which is where I was the first time.

That's kind of odd. What download manager are you using? What web browser? I take you were able to download and run instMsiA.exe with no problem?

I wonder if unicow.dll is already on your system. Click Start and then Find choose Files or Folders and then type unicows.dll into the edit box and click Find Now. Let me know what it finds.

I found online that some users were able to solve this problem by uninstalling Adobe and then Reinstalling it. Try that also. You should be able to uninstall it from Add/Remove programs in your Control Panel. To reinstall it you need either to download it again or have an installation disk. If you don't have the disk and don't know where to find it online, click here to go to Adobes web site. Which ever program it is you should find it there. If it is one you got to buy, you will need the product or registration key. If you've bought it you should alreaady have it. If the program is Adobe PDF Reader, it's free so no registration key is needed.

Even if reinstalling solves the Adobe problem, it seems we have uncovered another problem. You should be able to open an exe file with no problem. I'm going to have to think about that, but anyway let me know if reinstalling helps and whether you can find unicow.dll is on your system.

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi I found 7 items, one is Adobe 243KB and dated 10/29/02.
As I stated in my first post, I use Netscape 7.1. I have uninstalled Adobe 4 times with the same results.
Thanks
Paul

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I gotta admit dakotapicker you have an interesting problem. It's too bad uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work, but regardless you have multiple problems. I'm wondering what happened. Is the Adobe program the PDF reader? I'm assuming it used to work and then quit working. Did you install or uninstall anything around the time the program quit working? Have you used any spyware removal tools, antivirus programs around that time? I know you use Norton System works, any other?

Hi I found 7 items, one is Adobe 243KB and dated 10/29/02.

Do you mean you have found 7 copies of unicows.dll on your machine and one is in your Adobe folder? Where are the other 6? Is there one located in C:\Windows\System ?The Microsoft unicows.dll version 1.1.3790.0 is 252 KB so yours is probably an older version. Find all 7 again and right click each and choose Properties. The proper most current dll will be 252 Kb, have a version tab in properties, Version 1.1.3790.0 Description Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Win9x Systems (MSLU) and Copywrited by Microsoft. In your next post tell me where each of the 7 dlls are stored on your machine and which version they are.

So you are using Netscape as your web browser, are you also using netscapes built in download manager? have you tried downloading unicows.exe with Internet Explorer instead? Do you still get the open with menu in IE? Is IE up to date, which version do you have?

If IE gives you the same problem, try
  • Click Start then shutdown then select Restart in MS DOS Mode then reboot
  • At the Dos Prompt type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter and let it run to Windows repaired the registry then press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot
  • Click Start then Runand type sfc and hit Enter. This will run your system file checker and you will need the Windows 98 Installation CD or have your Windows cab files stored on your hard drive. If you don't have the win CD and don't know anything about cab files let me know. Let sfc replace any changed or corrupt system file it finds. Any file it can't replace write down and let me know.
  • After doing this reboot and then go to windows updates and let it install any critical updates it finds. You will probably need to do this in Internet Explorer.
  • Now after another reboot download Belarc Advisor and install it. Run it. It will open your web browser and display important information about your machine. Look on this page for Installed Microsoft Hotfixes. If any have a red X in front of their name they are "broken" and need reinstalled. Let me know if any Hotfix listed fails verification, give me all the details listed for every broken hotfix. For some reason these broken Hotfixes are often missed by Microsoft update.
  • Also look under Software versions and see if Microsoft Corporation - Windows Installer Version 2.0.2600.2 is listed. Let me know yes or no.
  • Now try both Adobe and try downloading unicows.exe again. Do you still get the same open with confusion?
It may be a program in your startup has already loaded a copy of unicows.dll into memory and that is why adobe is unable to load it when you run adobe. Since you seem to have multiple copies of unicows.dll on your machine you most likely have multiple applications which use it. Also spyware or malware can also cause any number of weird problems so I want you to download Hijack this. Do a fresh boot and then run Hijack This, save a log and attach it to your next post. I will look thru your startup files and look for any malware problems. If you have malware problems we will need to fix that also.

I'm sorry this is getting so complicated ;) , some problems are like that. let me know the results of all this. Try to answer every question above in as much detail as you can. I can send you the dll as an e-mail attachment if you PM me with your e-mail address don't post it here for fear of spammers. But I'm not sure that will help as you seem to have multiple copies of the dll anyway. I can't seem to attach it here, i've tried 4 times and it fails every time ( i lose the server for some reason, prob time out since my connection speed is very slow). Anyway I'm going to ask someone else to look at this also in the event I'm missing something. Just bear with us we'll figure it out. :tazz:

Advertisements

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I will do my best to answer your questions and thanks for not talking down to because i don't know all the terms etc.
1.I have an icon for adobe 6.0 and PDF, I can't download adobe with 98se so it is 6.o
2.I have had NO other installs
3.the spyware we use is Anonymizer and have had it for about 6 months with no probelms.
4. download manger just say's "download manager"
5.I am downloading adobe in IE as I write this note.
6. The following are the unicows listed
c:\WINDOWS\systems 240kb all say application extention 8/20/03
c:WINDOWS\TEMP\NIS\Setup\as core\system 32 9/1/03
c;\WINDOWS\TEMP\NIS\Setup\symLT\COMMON\SYMH 8/20/03
c:\WINDOWS\TEMP\NIS\Setup\symLT\system 32 8/20/03
c:\WINDOWS\TEMP\NIS\NAV\\External\commonFi\SYHMS 8/15/03
c:\Windows\TEMP\NIS\NAV\External\system 32 8/5/03
c:\Programfiles\Adobe\Acrobat6.0 Reader 10/29/02
I hope I got all though right. When adobe is loaded I will try it and let you know if it works in EI.
I am doing my best to get you the info you need.
Thanks
Paul

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I sent you an e-mail with the unicows.dll attached. Try to download it to your desktop and I'll tell you what to do with it latter.

and thanks for not talking down to because i don't know all the terms

No need for that, I just need to find a common language. I'm used to the terms but I'm trying to keep it simple. If I can't it's not you its me. ;)

I have an icon for adobe 6.0 and PDF, I can't download adobe with 98se so it is 6.o

I understand I used to do the same thing. Now I use FoxIt PDF Reader. It uses less resources than Adobe is quicker and works well enough for me. Text is not displayed on screen as prettily but I can Live with that. Try that if you want you could at least read your PDF files.

I am downloading adobe in IE as I write this note

I think you misunderstood me there. I said

have you tried downloading unicows.exe with Internet Explorer instead? Do you still get the open with menu in IE? Is IE up to date, which version do you have?

I was wanting to see if you could download and run the self installing microsoft file containing the problematic dll. I also wanted to know if you have the latest version of IE. Load IE and Click Help and then Click About. It should say there what version of IE you have.

The following are the unicows listed

That looks ok. The windows\temp stuff shouldn't matter. that seems to be stuff left over from Norton to me. I would tho open My Computer and navigate to c:WINDOWS\TEMP\ now right click the folder NIS and holding down the right button drag the folder to your desktop. From the menu which should pop up choose Move.

Now reboot and see if everything works ok. Especially the norton stuff. Use your computer for a few days and if everything works ok delete the NIS folder.

The following are the unicows listed
c:\WINDOWS\systems 240kb all say application extention 8/20/03

That info is the info found in Find I want the properties. I said

The Microsoft unicows.dll version 1.1.3790.0 is 252 KB so yours is probably an older version. Find all 7 again and right click each and choose Properties.

So you right click the icon for unicows.dll in the Find results and choose Properties. A window should open with three tabs. I'm pretty sure you have older copies of the dll and maybe even corrupt copies.

I still want you to do the scanreg and sfc stuff and the Hijack This log I suggested above. I'm trying to fix your problem opening windows setup programs. That will cause problems with other setup files you may download. ;)

As to the dll I e-mailed you, after you have downloaded it to your desktop do the following
  • Open My Computer and navigate to c:\Windows\system
  • Postition and resize My Computer window so that you can see the unicows.dll on your desktop.
  • Now Right click the dll and holding down the right mouse button drag the dll icon into a blank spot in the my computer window, ie folder windows\system.
  • From the pop up menu choose Copy. If asked about overwiting an existing file allow it.
Now repeat only navigate to c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat6.0 Reader and copy the dll there also.

Now see if Adobe works. I'm hoping :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what version of adobe acrobat are you trying to install?

Seven will not work, and 6.x seems to have problems with well updated win9x machines....as windows has been updated, there seems to be an issue within the installer package. If you have downloaded updates for win9x, you might be seeing that problem.

If you are very capable, there is a way to edit the msi package, then recreate to get around this, but a better solution might just be to reinstall acrobat 5

http://www.oldversio...m.php?n=acrobat

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi
Lucky school is out for the summer so I have time to do this.
I have the 6.0.2600 verstioin of IE
I have 8 unicows.dll now with the top one being 253kb
below are the 7 unicow.dll I listed before in the same order with PROPERTIES listed this time (red face)
1. window system 1.0.4018.0
2. window temp system etc 1.0.3703.0
3. window tem NISsymLT 1.0.4018.0
4. windows 1.0.4018.0
5. windows 1.0.4018.0
6. windows 1.0.4018.0
7. program 1.0.3665.0

I will download the FOX reader , I hope it will down load things that state Adobe.
I got a job application the other day, and that is when I found out I had this problem. It stated that I need to have Adobe, will the Fox open the application as well?

Now I will try the scanfix you sent.
Thanks

dakotapicker

dakotapicker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I need to clearup some terms before I mess up something.
1. Blank spot is this on the desktop?
2. Will Netscape and IE look the same when going into MY COMPUTER etc?
3. Does (drag) mean , right click (box opens) click, send to desktop? then back out of My Computer and see the desktop with the new icon?
Sorry for this , but it is better to be sure, than to make more of a mess.