Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

faulty power supply?

• Please log in to reply

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So I guess my question would be, If changing my video card has lessened the strain on the PSU and I don't get any reboots am I gonna cause any harm to my MB or CPU by continuing to use my computer until I get the replacement PSU

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Using a bad PSU can and will damage your hardware, it may not be obvious to begin with but you will suffer more and more issues with the computer as time goes by, please see my canned text below as I suggest that the present PSU is properly tested before being replaced;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Also note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the two attached links http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php and http://www.pcmech.co...ad.php?t=208143

PSU database http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.

Quality brands include Antec, Corsair, OCZ and Seasonic.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
True that. Changing the video card took some stress off but you're still under voltage. It can do damages as well as an over voltage can. You might want to shut it down til you can get your replacement.

Play it safe.

EDIT: You mean some Corsairs are quality. Even Rosewill have quality PSUs but those that's made by Super Flower.

Look at this site and find your model in it. If it's not made by Seasonic or Super Flower don't get it. I know there's other quality brands around but those two proved their worth.

http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Edited by Brazened, 26 September 2013 - 05:42 PM.

panthertooth

panthertooth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Quick update, I finally decided to call corsair on Friday after waiting since Tuesday for a reply and as soon as they opened my ticket and seen what my numbers was they said [bleep] ya send that back, got the rma and shipped it out today, so now have to wait till the new one comes back. Till then it's iPod :( , will let ya know how everything turns out

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for keeping us informed.
Please remember to take anti static measures when working on the computer by briefly touching a bare unpainted part of the computer case.
Before switching on the new PSU, do a final check of all connections to ensure they are seated properly, especially the CPU fan.

Look forward to your next post, containing a big thumbs up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Gday.
Thanks for keeping us informed.
Please remember to take anti static measures when working on the computer by briefly touching a bare unpainted part of the computer case.
Before switching on the new PSU, do a final check of all connections to ensure they are seated properly, especially the CPU fan.

Look forward to your next post, containing a big thumbs up.

Ditto :thumbsup:

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Glad you got a hold of Corsair. Sound like there was a defect that needed addressing so your new PSU gonna be a good one. :)