Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP computer not booting

• Please log in to reply

esbo

esbo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello everybody!!! :)

Well I almost do not know where to begin so I will start at the beginning (sort of).
Recounting the story will help me get things straight in my head.

My comp had been fine and then I kept getting "hard drive failure" or similar.
This was not a drive failure, it was the SATA cable coming lose (was a cheap dodgy cable)
and the drive was just laying in the base of the PC not secure, but it had been working fine like
that. OK I know that's a bad idea, so no need to tell me!!!.

Anyhow when I got that error I would just push the lose connector in better and it would boot fine.
Then after a while it started running check disk at start-up, but I would quit it as it took ages.
Then one day I decide to let it run over night to 'cure' the problem - bad move. The next morning
I found the computer constantly rebooting and I could not boot it up.

I since have a new PC by the way!! I'm on it now and it a lot faster :lol:

I tried various options for booting but none worked (ie recover restore, boot to safe mode etc..)
Oh well I thought, good job I have a back up drive (the machines old drive was cloned onto a new
bigger drive, and I have been using the new clone for a while, I could in the past boot from either
by swapping the cables). However that one didn't work with!! I had not used it for a while but I expected
to work - it didn't.

I though it might be a hardware error at that stage, however I managed to boot the machine on a Linux
Mint DVD OK and was able to surf the net, pretty good really except for the very poor cursor control,
but it was OK could surf, watch youtube etc..pretty cool really!!

So does not seem to be hardware.

Focusing on the newest drive which failed, I have had various error at various stages, I think when I try and do
recoveries it might screw it up even further.

However one error, which I have just had is:-

windows could not start
as file is missing or corrupt
root\system32\hal.dll

(approx wording)

However I can see from Linux that hal.dll is there!!

Another error I have had is

stop:c000021a {Fatal Error} The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034(0x00000000)(0x00000000)

I read on Microsoft site

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error.

Both those files exist and indeed the drive seems to be fine, right size and linux told me
that the disk was in good health, it said it's SMART status was OK.
I am actually just running a quick SMART self test on it now. It says the disk is healthy.

Then there is the older drive, and indeed one older than that, I started with a 60gig, cloned to a 250gig and finally to
the 500gig drive I have been using most recently until it gave up the ghost.

Actually the other drive in the machine is the 60gig drive and the 250gig one had errors, I still have it, might try booting
from it but it's has a dodge surface, sometimes files are there, sometimes not so much lol. :lol:

I put the 250gig drive in an enclosure and I have just copied the contents of windows to this machine. (reports a couple of files missing
but it has 99.99%).

I also tried and old XP recovery drive I made but that didn't work either.
I don't think the cloning software copes with the recovery partition well .

So................ where to from here??

I guess I may have a number of option and things to try, but writing this out helps me get things clear in my own head
and I can use this thread to document stuff I have done as I tend to forget what did what and when etc...

I maybe able to get a Win XP boot (installation disk) disk from my brother, that is another option if he still has it.
The PC came with no Windows disk, it was a HP machine with software pre-installed. AMD 3800X2

It's not a major problem as I have a new PC and have various backups of data and I am copying the stuff I want onto
this my new machine, but I would like to get the old one working as aback up PC. I might be able to put the 500meg
(newest drive) into this machine to get the latest data if I need it (think it only has one bay though, have not looked yet!!)
I could also put it into a hard drive enclosure and connect via USB.

Might see if I can get a new Linux version too and see if it is any better.

But the bottom line seems to be the drive is fine and all the files are there and it will not boot, the
big problem occurred when I ran a check disk overnight, I guess that screwed something up, certainly seemed to.

I imagine it may just have a corrupt file on it but which one???

IF I try to boot into XP normally now I thing it will give the missing hal.dll error.

However I can see the file from Linux, it says:-

hal.dll size 134.4kB 134,400 bytes it also says accessed 12th Sept, however the I was using it 19th Sept for sure.

So any help/ideas welcome :)

The PC

Advertisements

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Now just to start a 'line of attack' for solving this, I have just been looking
at hall.dll in Linux, I then quite Linux removed the Linux disc and booted into
windows, and tried a normal start but right way I get

windows could not start because f the following file is missing or corrupt
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

However Linux can find it!!

That is a bit different from the original error when I found the machine in the morning constantly
rebooting.

Doesn't the boot sector point to this file?

If I instead chose the recovery option it boots up to a HP logo, goes to a light blue screen then to
a brighter blue screen with this error

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x000000)
the system has been shut down.

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i seem to remember there is a boot sector fix program to point to
hal.dll?

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well well well I will wade through the heap of helpful responses later!! :whistling:

Anyhow, what can I report, well I found bootex.log and I think it is showing the last checkdisk
it did before all [bleep] broke lose and I couold not longer boot windows

It lists a number of errors
ie
#
deleting index entry, cleaning up 7210 unused entries index entries
cleaning up 7210 security descriptors
reports probe with USN journal (dont know what that is)
discovered free space marked as allocated in in the master file table and master file table bit map

The final thing it says is

Windows found problems with the file system which could not be corrected.

That is kind of the thing I expected, but I am thinking if I can restore missing
or corrupted files all will be well.

The question how do I do that without a windows XP disc etc, just some backups.

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
On the good new front, I am having much more success with LINUX Mint is
working really well, I seem to have lost the mouse
I was using with it yesterday somehow, which is weird as it should be plugged in
anyhow the one I am using on it now is miles better, in fact perfect, apart from the dodgy
click button, so I replace it and have a perfect all round mouse with great controls!!

I am finding the Linux fine really, somewhat easier to find my window around than on
Windows 8 anyway!! :lol:
It would be even better were it not running from a DVD

Also I have managed to connect up my big 3 gig USB drive, so I am coping everything off.

That is great, i make things so... much easier.

ALSO I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should be able to compare the files on the PC to those on earlier backups.

Slight problem there is those backups are not conmprehensive.

But I am thinking I should be able to rebuild the boot files etc?????

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bit like talking to yourself here, reminds me of when I was a DJ on the radio before I got sacked :lol: :thumbsup:

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
One thing I have noticed, I was using Linux to backup files to my USB drive, there were three folder
listed as 0 byte folder, ie it looked like they were empty there were:

system.sav
t
tmp

However I though no harm in copying them, but when I did it started doing a bit copy which it said "38 minutes remaining"

Some looked like registry entries such as:-
registry_user_interface

Whilst other looked like system filed, ie .dll files with names like:-
A006734534.dll
or similar file extensions like .sys .log .cfg etc...

I expect they were in system.sav.

Is there some sort of backup in there are hidden files?

Actually I just figured it out I accidentally moved the system volume info into the temp folder.

However I can see there are a load of restore points in there, so that should be helpful?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
7 posts in less then 6 hours is why nobody is responding. :whistling: To others it looks like you are getting help because you keep responding to your own topic.
Can you provide your current status and I will see what we can do to assist you.

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

7 posts in less then 6 hours is why nobody is responding. :whistling: To others it looks like you are getting help because you keep responding to your own topic.
Can you provide your current status and I will see what we can do to assist you.

Well the current status is pretty much as described in the previous posts, I have not really made any progress.

However I will add a brief summary.

I think the problem started because of a lose sata connector, that cause me to get some error such as hard drive failure,
however pushing the connector in carefully seemed to sure it and it would boot up OK.

So all was fine for a while, but eventually chkdsk would start to run at start-up, I expect due to the dodgy connector causing file write errors
I always stopped chkdsk from running because it takes ages, but one day I decided to run over night to cure the problem, however it made it works, in the morning I found the PC in a reboot loop. It seems the chkdsk fix cause problems.

This is the chkdsk log.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is HP_PAVILION.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
The object id index entry in file 0x8146 points to file 0x3e5
but the file has no object id in it.
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 33094.
The object id in file 0x187a does not appear in the object
id index in file 0x8146.
Inserting an index entry into index $O of file 33094.
Index entry A0065366.cfg of index $I30 in file 0x9f9a points to unused file 0xe023.
Deleting index entry A0065366.cfg in index $I30 of file 40858.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 7210 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Insufficient disk space to correct errors
in index $SII of file 9.
Cleaning up 7210 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 7210 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
The remaining of an USN page at offset 0x3c2893338 in file 0x7370
should be filled with zeros.
The USN Journal entry at offset 0x3c2894000 and length 0x5604c394 crosses
the page boundary.
Repairing Usn Journal file record segment.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system that could not be corrected.

482078516 KB total disk space.
332427032 KB in 343177 files.
314620 KB in 27488 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
1142388 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
148194476 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
120519629 total allocation units on disk.
37048619 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
60 81 0b 00 f3 a7 05 00 14 5d 09 00 00 00 00 00 `........]......
2d 45 03 00 02 00 00 00 fc 23 00 00 00 00 00 00 -E.......#......
70 d5 a2 3a 00 00 00 00 b6 3e 53 55 0d 00 00 00 p..:.....>SU....
12 14 c9 05 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 84 a9 7d b9 0e 00 00 00 ..........}.....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 80 35 08 00 89 3c 05 00 ..6......5...<..
00 00 00 00 00 60 bc 41 4f 00 00 00 60 6b 00 00 .....`.AO...`k..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

So after that the PC would reboot shortly after start-up, before the windows logo,
I tried to use the last good config but that didn't seem to work, could not boot
in safe mode either.

The last thing I tried was selecting a recovery option, this is a HP (hewlett packard) feature to
restore windows, it has worked in the past but it always seemed dodgy as it appear to crash at the end,
but it did seem to fix the PC when I rebooted it normally.

However........this time it did not fix it, instead I immediately got a blue screen
and a hal.dll is missing or corrupt.

So I have error upon error, if I fixed the recovery error I would only be back to the original error.

Key points are I have no windowsXP installation disc, instead I have a recovery partition d:
In D: I guess is the equivalent of a recovery/installation CD (or DVD).

But the recovery partition does not work, it was tried and made things worse.
So I don't have much apart form the corrupted drive, that is basically the only place I can get files from.

I have some partial backups but not enough to create a system that works.

So solutions which start "take your XP installation/recovery disc will not work because
I do not have one. I have tried all the option on the F8 menu.

I do have two older drives with windows XP on but they are in a poor state which is why I upgraded
to a new drive, the oldest is 80gig the next is 250gig and the final one is the current 500gig drive.

There are some errors on the drives but I might be able to copy files form them.

The oldest drive is the best in some respects, it does not have the hal.dll error, it get past that
to the windows logo before it crashes, so I might have more luck getting that one to work.

I think the 250gig one used to do the same thing until I tried the recovery option on it, now that too
gives the hal.dll error. Hence I will not be trying the recovery on the 80 gig one.

I am actually backing up the 80 gig drive now using Linux Mint to copy files to a USB drive.
However it would not copy a few files saying it had an IO error. But if it is just a few file
I might be able to replace them, it was just the odd file.

I could also boot that drive into safe mode with command prommpt and it would list files on the screen,
these are the files it has loaded I think, but it would fail, the last file listed being ..........system32\drivers\avgidshx.sys

So there may be a problem with that file, it is part of AVG anti-virus

This seems to be the same problem

http://forums.avg.co...=show&id=210299

However the solution is a joke as the OP says he gets the problem boot into safe mode and the
"AVG ambassador" says the solution is to boot into safe mode, which of course he can't!!

I found this

http://www.pcrepairm...h.l2hZdsp5.dpbs

I think it is a different filename though, but there is disk utility you can download that might be helpful
(if I knew what I was doing)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could borrow a XP that matches the version and SP that you have on your system. Then we can do a Repair installation which would keep your files and programs but you may need to update all drivers afterwards.
Secondly you could contact HP and see about purchasing a set of Recovery disks... usually they run about $30 for the set. This will include the original OS, Drivers and programs that were factory installed there by the recovery partition would be no good for you. This is effective but normally it means a format and fresh install.
If you decide to go that way then I can give you the instructions for using a Linux Live cd to access the drive and backup your data.

Advertisements

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here it says renaming the avg file so they don't load might work
http://forums.avg.co...4159#post_94159
Worth giving that a try however when I was copying the drive I notice it had a problem
with some important looking files, but will be interesting to see what happens anyway.

Can't really do much at the moment as I am half way through a copy.

I could quit the copy but I have 1 hours 40 mins to go I think I can wait.

It is something to try anyway and at least I am not blue screening at the first
hurdle on this drive.
If I could sort it out on that 80 gig drive I could then clone to the bigger drive,
however I know there are errors on that drive, but it's better than nothing
whcih is pretty much what I have at the moment.

An alternative way forward it to try and cure the "missing or corrupt hal.dll"
error.

Not sure where that error comes form or why, the file is on the disc in the right place
so it seems, it may be something to do with boot records, but I'd need help there.

I assume it has found the master boot record to get that far, the error occurs as soon
as I try to boot into windows, I get a different error if I select the recover option

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The hal error is normally a boot issue within the boot.ini.
Try this and see if it helps.

If you have your Windows XP disk
  • Insert your Windows XP disk into your computer and reboot
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.
When you see the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt continue to section 3 (Running "ChkDsk")

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

• Download RC.ISO from Here.
  • Now burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD-ROM. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Once the CD is created, place it in the defunct computer
  • Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.

Running "ChkDsk"
  • At the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type

chkdsk /r

• Press ENTER
  • Let this scan run UNINTERUPTED until completed (30 min or so depending on the drive)
  • Report any errors in your next reply
  • Once the scan is complete, Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.
  • Your computer will now restart, boot from the CD again and continue with the next steps.

Using "BootCfg /Rebuild" to fix the "Boot.ini" file

• At the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type

bootcfg /rebuild

• Press ENTER
    Note: The bootcfg /rebuild command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP installations, and then displays the results. You can add the detected Windows installations.
  • When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

NOTE: You may see more than one entry here if you have a dual boot windows system. If this is the case follow this procedure for ALL installations to make sure that all OS's are added correctly
  • You receive a message that is similar to the following message:

Enter Load Identifier

NOTE: This is the name of the operating system. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
  • Type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER
  • You receive a message that is similar to the following:

Enter OS Load options

• Type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
  • Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.
  • Your computer will restart, and the updated boot list may appear when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.
  • If you see a Boot list with multiple entries choose the XP Home option to boot to windows.

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I should add I have managed to boot into windows on one drive, the 250gig one, it's a dodgy drive
but it works at the moment, it puts me in a temporary desktop I think not sure why and there are other problems.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Note there is most of the instructions made for someone who does not have a XP disk starting with the line

If the cable issue is corrected then we may have to look at the drive itself.

esbo

esbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Note there is most of the instructions made for someone who does not have a XP disk starting with the line

If the cable issue is corrected then we may have to look at the drive itself.

Are you saying it is in the instructions?

The drive seems to be fine, physically, well that drive, I have 3 drives.
It might be the enclosure, the drive is detected and can be read when directly connected but it gives
corrupt of missing hal.dll.