Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Red Cross through Wireless Indicator but connected and Windows update

• Please log in to reply

Dom2276

Dom2276

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
My Dell xps i7 laptop has started acting very strangely, I suspect it has been infected somehow. The wireless indicator shows a red cross but is connected, also windows update fails on 6 of 10 possible updates, and the 4 that should work just start again when I retry. It is also not uninstalling programs, Macdrive will not uninstall and even if I delete the program files they reappear after restart. I have tried every possible fix I have found online for these problems and nothing has helped, I have cleaned the registry, run spybot, malwarebytes all with antivirus off and in safe mode. I would welcome any ideas or suggestions! Thanks

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Dom2276, Posted Image
As you suspect an infection, some needing more than ordinary tools to remove, Please click on the link below and following the instruction, you can miss out step 1 as you already have an account.
The reason for the redirect is because only our trained staff for mailware removal are allowed to help. Incorrect procedures can result in more damage, loss of Data or a system that refuses to boot.
When they have given you a clean bill of health and if you are still having problems, please come back to this topic for further help.

CLICK HERE

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Out of curiosity I'd like you to tell me a bit more about what you've attempted to repair this issue. Such as reinstalling the driver, enabling and disabling the adapter physically, verifying it is enabled in BIOS, System File Checks on the OS, check disks, and so forth. However Mykyl gave you the correct next steps, as they will verify you have no proxies setup or any other virus infections that are preventing your system from acting appropriately.

Either way, go through the malware process linked by Mykyl and then come back here if you're still having any oddities with your machines OS and I or someone else will be happy to assist more from there.

Dom2276

Dom2276

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks kids for your reply, I have run otl and everytime it finishes it hides my results????? please help

Dom2276

Dom2276

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Also I have reinstalled driver, enabled and disabled more times than I care to mention and checked BIOS and all good, chkdsk also clear. I am stumped

Dom2276

Dom2276

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Does this help? I am very grateful for all help on this, I may just backup everything and reinstall windows 8. is that a better option rather than mess around polishing a turd?

Dom2276

Dom2276

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
sorry that was meant to be in install windows 8. Open to better ideas though, maybe linux?

Edited by Dom2276, 30 September 2013 - 11:37 AM.

Dom2276

Dom2276

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
thanks

Edited by Dom2276, 30 September 2013 - 11:21 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
It shows a few items which have direct ties to malicious software, which means you will indeed have to PROPERLY follow the guided steps and then make an appropriate post. Please read my post below and be sure to make a new thread in the proper section to receive malware removal help

Due to the belief that malicious software (malware) may be at fault for your current issue(s), I need you to make a new thread in the appropriate section, to do so you need to first follow the procedures for creating an appropriate post/thread, which can be found HERE. Once you're ready to make the new thread/post, please post it in the appropriate section which can be found HERE. After you post, a malware removal expert will guide you through the process of removing any malicious software off your PC. Once they establish that your machine appears clean, if you are still having the issues come back to this thread and I or another techie will be more than happy to assist you further - However until you are deemed clean by an expert, we will not be able to assist you further.

Dom2276

Dom2276

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have followed your advice but nobody has replyed?

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
It takes a little. Only the experts and staff who are trained professionals can rely on there. Please give them until tomorrow, if it still has not got any responses I'll advise you on how to go from there.