Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow running pc

• Please log in to reply

vintage55

vintage55

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running windows xp on a Packard bell pc, download speed is 300mbps, plenty of free memory on drive c, antivirus installed and regularly defragged and cleaned. Does not take long to boot up but as soon as I log into something, say facebook, it takes ages to load or to read comments, and then if I try to close it get program not responding message. Have taken all unwanted programs out there are no pictures, music, videos stored. Have tried various online solutions but none have worked. Can anybody suggest a way I can get the pc to respond faster or will I have to take it back to factory settings and start all over again, the only trouble with that is I do not have the discs. Any help will be gratefully received.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, I'd like to welcome you to Geeks To Go's forums. I hope that after having your issue resolved that you stick around, learning from the other members and sharing your experiences and knowledge with us as well. Enough with the pleasantries, let's get to resolving your issue! Please follow each of my steps carefully and make sure to post back with all the information the steps may request you to do.

STEP ONE: MiniToolBox Repairs and Log Gathering
  • At this point and time I'd like you to get the utility MiniToolBox and run it with the following checked items.
    • Flush DNS
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings
    • List content of Hosts
    • List last 10 Event Viewer Errors
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Devices
    • Only-Problems (leave it checked)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory Size
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points

After you've selected just the above items, please then hit GO. Once it's done running, which normally doesn't take too long, it will have a text or log file pop up. Please copy/paste that into a reply.
STEP TWO: Reset IE Settings
  • Now open your Start Menu and go into your Control Panel
  • Once in your Control Panel go to Internet Options (might want to make the 'View by:' set to small)
  • In this window, please go to the Advanced tab.
  • On this tab, let's click the following; Reset...
  • Don't check the box on the next page, then click 'Reset' at the bottom
  • Once this little window (Reset Internet Explorer Settings) puts check boxes next to all 3 items, click 'Close'
  • This will exit the Internet Options, please reopen it via Control Panel
  • Let's verify a few settings, listed below;
  • Go to the tab 'Connections' and click on 'LAN Settings'. Unless using a proxy, verify 'Automatically detect settings' checkbox is checked and nothing else is entered.
  • Go back to the 'General' tab now and in the 'Browsing History' select 'Delete' and then check all the boxes accept 'Form Data' and 'Passwords'. Then hit 'Delete' at the bottom. Give this a minute to run.
  • Make sure to also set the 'Homepage' to a known page (www.Google.com for instance) while on the 'General' tab.
[/list]STEP THREE: TempFilCleaner
As a good rule of thumb, I like to get rid of temp/junk files off any and all systems I work on. Reason being that I've seen some build up of caches and junk files cause all sorts of chaos on multiple occasions, so why not just take a few minutes to clean the PC up.However before you download and run the program, please make sure you save all work and close out of all programs accept your browser (which also will need to be closed down after the download, before running the program).

Now that we've saved and closed out of all your applications/programs, please download Temp File Cleaner (TFC). Once that is done, close out of all your open applications/programs and then please 'Right Click' and select Run As Administrator from the Context Menu. Please let this run, uninterrupted. Once it's finished, it may ask you to reboot your machine - If it does, please allow it to reboot at this time and after Windows loads back up move on to the next step. If it does not require a reboot, please move on to the next step now. However please take note of the red number, displaying amount of removals, and post it in a reply. STEP FOUR:
Please go to this link: SpeedTest
Once you're at the site, please click on BEGIN TEST and then allow it to run. Once it's done, please click on SHARE THIS RESULT and then select COPY on that page. Please then paste it into a result.
Please repeat this step two times, to get two results.  
Please post back with all the information from these four steps and let me know how the PC's doing at that point.

Edited by PhrantiQ, 30 September 2013 - 12:33 PM.