Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unplugged keyboard and now none will work

• Please log in to reply

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I unplugged the Dell keyboard that was hooked up to my aunt's computer to plug in my HP keyboard that was a better one. After unplugging it, the PC wouldn't recognize either one of the keyboards. I went online with Dell Techs (ha ha) and they took over the PC and did everything that I had already tried. They couldn't figure out what was wrong (go figure). Anyways, both keyboards work, it's just that the Dell keyboard had keys that were sticking, so I decided to give her mine. Could you guys help me here? She has to use the on-screen keyboard right now, and that sucks! Thanks guys.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Well what type of keyboard(s) are they? PS2 or USB? Also did you plug them in while it was on or off? Moving on from that, if they are USB have you tried using the front USB ports instead of the back ones? Post back before I can advise much more.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Lets clear the old usb drivers out of the way.

Download this tool to the machine in question unzip it to the desktop.
http://www.uwe-siebe...rivecleanup.zip

Move the 32 or 64 bit version of DriveCleanup.exe to C:\Windows\System32 Folder.
To do this hit the windows key and r at the same time and type the File Location C:\Windows\System32 in the run box.
Drag the 32 or 64 bit version of DriveCleanup.exe from the desktop into the C:\Windows\System32 Folder.

.Then Close all applications power your machine down and remove all usb devices except keyboard and mouse.
Open a command prompt by hitting the windows key and r at the same time and type cmd into the run box and hit enter.
Once the CMD window opens Type drivecleanup.exe Hit enter.
This will clear all old usb drivers on your machine and hopefully help your issue.

Reboot and test.

BeachBumBum

BeachBumBum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
They are USB keyboards and I have tried the other USB ports to no avail. Also, I uninstalled the driver and it found a driver upon reboot, but it was the driver for the old keyboard (crazy). Anyways, I will try running the program you told me to and see what happens. I am soooo frustrated with that dang computer. I have worked for many hours to get it to function properly, and just as soon as I started to see daylight, the stupid keyboards stopped working. Well first I unplugged the Dell keyboard while the computer was on, but it's a USB keyboard. Then I plugged in the HP keyboard and it showed it found new hardware. I rebooted, still did not work. So I unplugged the keyboard, uninstalled the old driver, rebooted, then plugged the new keyboard in. Wouldn't work, so I rebooted again. Still wouldn't work. Tried several USB ports. I appreciate your patience, because I've lost mine. :wub: :wub:

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok when doing the instructions I sent you leave the keyboard unplugged as well. :)

Let us know how it goes.