Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

download slows down to 0kb/s or freezes.

• Please log in to reply

Pineapple_express

Pineapple_express

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok first off, i am new to this forum, this is my first post :)

well first i got a cisco linksys E2500 revision 1 router connected to a motorola dsl modem
that you get from at&t. I got around 5-6 devices connected but not all at once. At the most my desktop and 2-3 smart phones are connected atone

so this is my problem when i'm trying to load a video on youtube ,no matter what quality, it loads fast for a couple seconds then stops, after maybe 2 mins it'll start loading again and finish (depending on the length of the video) or just stop again.

Another problem is if i download a file over 30-50 Mb sometimes the speed will slowdown, then it'll stop at maybe like at 80% and won't start again, anything over 70 Mb it is almost guaranteed to stop.

i have been using a program called flash get and it does the same, the speed will slow to 0kb/s and stop for like 1 min to 2 min but it'll start downloading again. Sometimes it doesn't though. (< This happens on all of my devices)

This is getting kinda annoying because some sites don't support programs like flash get, and idk what else to try. I rebooted my router, hard reset it, unplugged it and the modem for about 2 mins and plugged the modem in first, wait for it to settle, then plug the router in wait for it to settle, and connect my devices back. The same thing happens. I also tried to get dd-wrt but i couldnt figure out how to get my router to connect to the internet.

I was thinking maybe my modem is going out out, i have packet loss, or some noise on my dsl line.

Advertisements

Pineapple_express

Pineapple_express

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the modem is maybe 3 years old and the router is about 2.5 years

AquamanD

AquamanD

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Assuming that you are connected via wireless. Have you tried changing the wireless channel. the recommended channels to use are 1, 6 or 1l with the 2.5Ghz band.

Pineapple_express

Pineapple_express

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes i have tried both 2.5 and 5.0 Ghz channel and they both do the same. but i forgot to mention that my desktop is connect with ethernet.

Pineapple_express

Pineapple_express

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tried most of the channels on the 2.5 ghz band and the 5 ghz band