Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MyPCBackup and DealPly

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
My apologies if I have selected the worng section to post this item, but I could not see a better one.

I have recently been surprised by seeing these two parasitic programs installed on my computer :-
MyPCBackup and DealPly. In addition I discovered two Chrome extensions that I have never authorised.

As I use Sandboxie and NOTHING gets onto my computer unless I authorise it, these two maggots must have been included in some download to my Desktop and I did not notice their inclusion. The suspect programs were deleted quickly - I cannot remember what they were.

I have now deleted every fragment of these two programs, including the unwanted Chrome extensions. My computer is now completely clean of them. It took me a while using Revo Uninstaller, the Windows little dog Start/Search and cleaning out my Recycle Bin, but it is now all done.

I have read about these two maggots on the web, but has anybody else been infested with them ? I have never seen them before and will make sure I never see them again.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
I have not personally, but I've cleaned them off tons of machines. They are light weight freeware items that then require additional payments or post advertisements in hopes to make a few bucks. Revo will uninstall most of the keys and items related to any adware/junkware - Though there are some cleanup tools aimed for those type of 'infections' or software types. If you want a more thorough look the malware team members/experts here would be able to verify your system for you, just let them know it is more of a check up than anything and link them to this thread.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I have not personally, but I've cleaned them off tons of machines. They are light weight freeware items that then require additional payments or post advertisements in hopes to make a few bucks. Revo will uninstall most of the keys and items related to any adware/junkware - Though there are some cleanup tools aimed for those type of 'infections' or software types. If you want a more thorough look the malware team members/experts here would be able to verify your system for you, just let them know it is more of a check up than anything and link them to this thread.

Thank you so much for those comments. I am sorry the other issue went pear shaped, but you do help so much with your comments and observations. These two maggots crept in by my unintentional invitation, but they will not get another chance. I am sure that I have cleaned out every grain of their existence.

Another piece of garbage was when I downloaded "Lastpass", some kind of Password manager. It created a zillion records on my system, half of them covering every language on earth, including the primitive tribes of the Central Borneo.

When I downloaded Lastpass, I thought it was a simple plug-in.

Yet again, after lots of tail wagging searches, uninstall`s and manual deletes etc, I have laboriously swept the lot away and nothing is now left of this irritating and voluminous program.

John

Edited by John Bull, 03 October 2013 - 10:45 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Last Pass has a lot of registries due to what it does. Back when I got it, it didn't have bloatware come with it but there may be options to uncheck/include that at this point in time. However that software is legitimate and one that I recommend, so I will relook into the possible bloat ware that would be included.

Either way, glad you were able to get rid of them. Even Java's automatic updater will install their bloat ware / free ware software! Crazy stuff huh?

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Either way, glad you were able to get rid of them. Even Java's automatic updater will install their bloat ware / free ware software! Crazy stuff huh?

Thank you again for your information. You are a breath of fresh air in a very suffocating environment. I am extremely careful, but even the best is often not good enough.

PS - My Chrome has a 50/50 hit and miss record of returning from Standby, a kind of "now you see it, now you don`t" job. I am using a Chrome extension called "Keep Awake" on option "Screen will be kept on". My fanatical disbelief in superstition is being challenged as I "think" it may have made at least some improvement.

Latest - I have also installed Chrome extension "Wake up" and selected option "Keep display awake". See how it all goes.

Edited by John Bull, 03 October 2013 - 01:40 PM.