Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling XP and deleting partitions?

• Please log in to reply

chaubidniz

chaubidniz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,
Please help!! (not very computer literate, so please, excuse me!) Here's the background. When I tried to turn my desktop on this morning, a screen came up saying that Windows did not start properly, then listed 3 different Safe modes, start as normal, and last working configuration. I've tried starting EACH of these modes, and what happens is the system seems to start up, but ends up recycling to the same screen!
I was told that I would probably need to reinstall/reimage XP, but I'm not sure how to do that. Do I need to delete the partition from before and re-create it or set up Windows XP over it?

Thank you!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you have anything that you want to keep on the partition then just install windows on that partition again. it should keep your data. if there is nothing there that you need to keep the i suggest formatting it just to be sure it isn't a virus issue

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Try a repair install first, Click Here