Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java issues?

• Please log in to reply

gibber0101

gibber0101

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi I have XP with the latest IE. I have a problem when I go to sites that require java, eg yahoo games. many other java sites allow the java script to work, indeed i have installed sun java.

The specific complaint is that when I go to yahoo games i clikc on a game to play, (fine) takes me to link, click on a button that should load the host room, but instead all my IE windows disappear from screen.

I have checked that the java box is checked on IE options, but am lost as to why this is occuring.

any help greatly appreciated!.

(ps cant reintall IE as I have recently moved, and am unableto locate CD

Advertisements

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
go to www.java.com and update your software.click on the update on the right side of the screen :tazz:

gibber0101

gibber0101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
tried loading and it closes ie instantly. (just the java.com site) any chance a link can be posted?

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sure ,here is the link

http://www.java.com/en/

also here is the link to updat Microsoft Virtual machine....Do this before the Java link.

http://www.itnet.org/ms/msjavx86.exe

and here is the link for Macromedia Shockwave install that last.

http://www.macromedi...om/default.html

Edited by merlin811, 09 June 2005 - 07:34 AM.

gibber0101

gibber0101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks i have installed VM, but with regards to the java site even clicking on the link causes the IE window to close.

I have even tried right clicking and opening link in new window, this just has the result of closing both IE windows??????

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok have you updated your browser through microsoft lately? mine is 6.0.2900.2180
go to browser "help" then "about internet explorer" and see what version you have.also are you spyware free?

gibber0101

gibber0101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes i have the same version as you, at present running ad aware, and norton internet security, i ran it over a week ago when i still had this prob and nothnig came up. Ill let you know what result says now, im trying to get a friend to dl the file and email to me

gibber0101

gibber0101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeh just checked, no virus or spyware

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok go to control panel & see if you have a Java icon if you do see what version it is.plus it has an update console, try to update it that way then get back to me.

gibber0101

gibber0101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i have sun java, and do have an icon in control panel, when i right click it only offers to open it or create shortcut, when i double click it the mouse changes to a timer for a sec, and then goes back to normal, nothing seems to change. also i have checked the security settings under IE, they were at custom, with java permissions set to high, i reduced to med, and then low, and also set the IE security to med, all have had no effect.

Edited by gibber0101, 11 June 2005 - 09:46 AM.

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry it took so long to get back...Anyway uninstall java completely then restart your PC & go to java.com that should work...i just tried it on a customers pc here that has about the same problem as you... :tazz:

gibber0101

gibber0101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeh thanks thats sorted it! cheers for all your help

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
WHEW!!!! Glad it worked....No problem your welcome. :tazz: