Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade sony vaio ram

• Please log in to reply

mcyoung6

mcyoung6

• Pip
  • 3 posts
While upgrading from 1 gig to 2 gigs I unplugged the ram chips with the laptop in hibernate, now the computer will not boot up.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Looks like you may have damaged the ram modules.

Make sure that your laptop is turned off. Unplug the laptop from the power source. Turn the laptop over and remove the battery. Let it cool down, and discharge yourself by touching metal before handling ram. It's static sensitive.

See Here too.

Joe

Edited by zep516, 04 October 2013 - 07:35 PM.

mcyoung6

mcyoung6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea it was a bonehead move and I knew better but here we are with a broken computer because of a stupid mistake. I have tried to boot the computer with some known good ram chips with no luck. I fear I may have damaged the mobo. I also tried to do a disk boot without any success. I ran across a blog where someone upgraded the exact same computer ( Sony Vaio VGN-NR140e )with t7800 duo core 2 (meron) 4mb cache 800mhz and 4 gb Ram. He was very satisfied with the computers performance. I can get the mobo and processor for less than $100 and I already have the Ram. Do you think this computer is worth it.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Is the laptop completely dead. Do you see any lights or any screen at all? Have you taken the battery out and just try the ac adapter and vise a versa.

Joe

mcyoung6

mcyoung6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Totally blank screen, the processor light comes on for about 2 seconds goes off leaving only the power light on and then nothing after that. I attempted a disk boot with same results. There are no sounds and I cannot hear the fan running which is not normal on a boot up.