Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ran stress test on new computer, it shutdown instantly. And won't

• Please log in to reply

angeal1

angeal1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
just to give a bit more history on this problem, I finished building my pc a couple of days ago it has the z87x-d3h mobo. Everything was working fine initially until I started playing a game (league of legends) then it would shut down down about 5 mins in. Thinking it might be overheating I downloaded speedfan and saw that it was doing this even though the cpu and gpu weren't that hot. So I decided to download prime 95 and do a stress test, it ran for 10s and the pc shut down in the same way. So I left it at that. Next day I booted again tried to run the stress test along with speedfan to get a read of the temperature, this time it instantly shutdown as soon as the stress test started and wouldn't turn back on.

Thinking that this was a PSU problem, I bought a new PSU plugged it all in and found that the fans spin for maybe half a second and then stop, trying to turn it on after that wouldn't spin the fans at all (unless I pulled the power lead out and put it back in).

The weird thing is, if I remove the 8pin motherboard cable the fans will spin for around 3 seconds and then stop and then repeat the process.

So what could be the problem, motherboard is the prime suspect but why would a stress test or games for that matter shut the pc down even though it's not overheating?

Edited by angeal1, 04 October 2013 - 09:10 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: angeal1

Was the hardware all tested outside of the case before fitting it into the chassis.

Please provide information about your other hardware, post the brand and model name or number for the case, any add on video card if one is used, the CPU, Ram and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.