Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Errors in upgrading windows vista to windows 7

• Please log in to reply

kwielechow1987

kwielechow1987

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello I am trying to upgrade my Dell notebook XPS M1530 from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (64 bit). The first error I received was the following:
'Missing or corrupt Windows.BT\Windows\System32\driver\iastor.sys' (0xc0000359). I found a fix for this to correct this error (involved downloading the latest drivers from Intel). I then attempted to proceed with the Windows 7 update. This time I received the error 'Missing or corrupt Windows.BT\Windows\System32\driver\winload.exe' (0xc00000f). Can you please give me some direction on successfully completing my Windows 7 Upgrade.

Thank you very much.

Ken

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello kwielechow1987

If the present Vista installation is the 32-bit version you cannot upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 7, for some information on this please see Here

If you are unsure of the present OS install details and the notebook will still boot up into Vista ok you should run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and see what it reports.

Dell XPS M1530 notebook

kwielechow1987

kwielechow1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Phil,

Thanks for replying to my issue. Late last night, I was able to complete the upgrade to Windows 7 successfully. I didn't realize that once I fixed the original problem 'iastor.sys' error, that I had to run the Windows 7 upgrade setup file again (start completely over again). Once I did this, the upgrade process worked and now my notebook is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thank you again for your quick response.

Ken

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Ken

Pleased to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for posting the solution :thumbsup:

You are most welcome BTW :)