Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless g router thru 3com lan modem to ISDN line

• Please log in to reply

lrichtn

lrichtn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I only have access to an ISDN at my new house. I have a linksys wireless G router wrt54g with a notebook adaptor for my laptop and a USB wireless adaptor for my desktop computer.
A techie at work gave me a 3 Com 3c892 lan modem and told me I could run the wireless router thru the lan modem to the ISDN line. Of course, that was all the directions I got.
Can anyone be more specific on settings I need to know or try, and tips - and I am not very technical so please dumb it down for me! Thanks!

I basically understand that the g router's ethernet line will connect into the lan modem's ethernet lan port and the lan modem will connect to the ISDN line - and that's about as far as I go - have heard and read a lot about making one machine the controller and fixing settings to start and turn off second channel when not needed, etc.. but am clueless.

My ISDN setup is for 2 channels at 128 KPBS. <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome lrichtn <_<

First make sure your wiring is correct. I'm pretty sure you can use a standard network cable to connect port one of the 3com to the Internet port of the Linksys.

Second, you now have two routers hooked together. This could be a problem. You can't turn the router functionality off on the 3com, but you should be able to on the Linksys (turning it into a wireless access point). I'm not sure how it's done but it should be in your Linksys manual (turn off most services, at least the DHCP server).

Third, you need to make sure that all computers and both routers are using the same subnet mask (provided by your ISP) and that non of them share an ip address. The 3com and Linksys could be sharing the same internal IP.

Both your ISDN channels should be combined by the 3com using Multilink PPP, creating one virtual 128Kbps connection.

WRT54G Wireless Router Manual
3com 3C892 Manual

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Here's how I did it:
Went to BestBuy, purchased a Motorola Wireless Access point. Told it to pick up an address via DHCP and VIOLA! Wireless. It was just that easy.

I have a standard cat5 cable going between the WAP and the OfficeConnect. And this is after Motorola told me "it won't work." It works GREAT and I have fantastic connections pretty much anywhere in the house. I put the WAP up as high as I could.

Need more info? Just send me email.

Bob Werner