Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unwanted Junk [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
This post is not requiring help, but is asking for information and explanation on how certain unwanted junk gets onto my computer. Pending your comments, I have no idea where they came from.

I am extremely vigilant and careful. My computer is clean and I carry out frequent scans with AVG 2014, Emsisoft AM, MBAM or SUPERantiSpyware. These scans always result in no output.

I am not into frivolous downloads, videos, games etc. and the only downloads I carry out are functional programs or a few images.

Recently, I discovered that MyPCBackup, Dealply and Wajam, plus two Chrome extensions had been installed onto my computer without me knowing anything about it.

I use Sandboxie for opening my browsers, so nothing gets onto my computer without my authorisation. My security package is Sandboxie, AVG 2014, PrivateFirewall, SpywareBlaster and StartupMonitor.

Question ? How did these junk items get past all this security plus my own vigilance undetected ?

I have now removed every single trace of these junkies from my computer, but if they got through my security net once, will they do it again ? What can I look for to prevent it ?

Many thanks

Edited by John Bull, 08 October 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have a look at this http://blog.avast.co...wnload-servers/

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.