Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Chrome Stops Opening New Pages

• Please log in to reply

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hey everyone,

On my work computer, I would love to use Chrome, I really would. Right now I use Firefox, mainly for its tab management which is delightful. I generally use Chrome only for personal stuff (like posting on Geeks to Go!) and find that near the end of my work day, after Chrome has been running all day, I have the following symptoms:
  • When changing tabs, refreshing pages, or opening new tabs, Chrome gets stuck on the open page for 20-30 seconds before finally processing the task
  • All the 25 chrome.exe processes running (thanks, sandboxing!) add up to between 750 and 1000 MB of RAM (which is a lot for a 4 GB Win 7 32-bit machine).
  • When I finally close Chrome, the windows close, but there's always a Chrome.exe process that doesn't close (usually between 250 - 300 MB RAM). Unless I close this process from the Task Manager, it will panic sometime during the night, and the next morning when I come in I see the "Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed! Relaunch now?" error message.
I do have a number of Extensions running, I think the heavy hitters are Lastpass and AdBlock - but those are recent installations and this has been going on for months.

Can anyone think of some things I can do to either fix up Chrome or identify an issue with my network routing (something going stale?)?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I think you're on the right track with extensions. I'd disable them all and see if that helps. If it does, enable them one at a time until you figure out the offender.

BTW, plugins, extensions, addons whatever you want to call them, are all being phased out, by all the major browsers (IE, FF, Chrome). Due to security and performance concerns.

Guessing ad blockers have something to do with it too.