Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving large files between 2 external hard drives

• Please log in to reply

jr70895

jr70895

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
For the past several years I right click and send files to external hard drive that I use for work. The files are stored in one folder with many sub-folders. I rename the main folder and right click to send. That way I keep all copies. The total to move to new hard drive is approximately 800gb
I have now out grown the hard drive and bought a larger one and need to move all of the files to new hard drive. What is the fastest way to do that.

Also, several times in the past when copying (via drag & drop or copy/paste), you'll get a message with options in the case of duplicates asking what you want to do. It will give you the dates and sizes of both copies and ask whether you want to do.
Is there a way to keep all of the copies?

Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If copying from one drive to another and the target drive is empty, there can't be any duplicates since the3re can't be any on the source drive to start with.

I would use the XCOPY command from a Elevaated Command prompt.

FOr example. If the source drive is g: and the target drive is h:,

xcopy g:\*.* h:\ /s/h/r/i/k/e/y

WIll copy everything and ignore any errors.

You may also want to look at Teracopy.